• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to recognize a hummer ready to fledge? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
during the last couple of years, I have seen an Antillean Crested Hummingbird nest with young. At the end of the endeavor, I have been left with questions, probably because I was not able to watch the nest 24/7 (in part due to other commitments and in part not to disturb to much. So instead of wondering about what happened I want to ask a question.

This species is very small, so about two weeks for eggs to hatch and another two weeks for the young to fledge is the rule. However how does one recognize a bird ready to fledge? how big a percentage of the final bill size does it have, etc? the last day I have a photo of it, it looks like a bill 60% of the width of the head where adults are more like 160%. This was about 4 weeks after the first image of a bird incubating (so may be behind relative to first laying of eggs). Is this young ready to leave the nest?

I was not able to keep better watch over the nest as it was not visible from inside the house and I did not want to point predators to it.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back