• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Hawkmoth (1 Viewer)

Humming bird hawkmoth

Hi Birdman.

Agreed they are very active! So i spent all of Sunday trying to photograph this fellow. Luckily I had a digital camera so taking about 60 shots was Ok! Here are the best. If anyone wants a full size image of any of the shots let me know

Attachments

• hh.jpg
    hh.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 863
Now I know I have seen one but never knew what they looked like, as I don't have any pics in my books and not many moths in any of them. In fact I have seen them most days for over a month, and they keep setting off my security light!! I've seen the postings but never seen such a clear shot as those are, so many thanks.

All this talk of HBHMs has prompted me to write a little about my summer holiday!

When I was young I recall only ever seeing one HBHM. It flashed through our East Grinstead garden in moments, dodging the Fuchsias, heading North. It was something that as a young collector of butterflies has always remained as a memorable experience.

Imagine, therefore, my exhilaration this year when my girlfriend and I were on holiday in Mallorca at her parent's home in Soller-It was the first day, the 2nd week of June and I ventured out to the garden after breakfast to stroll around the orchard. Through the orange trees I could see butterflies flitting about, more than normal, there were many Red Admirals and Painted Ladys (Papillon Cards to the locals) and others. As I gazed at the Bougainvillea I could see what I thought were large bees hovering. I moved closer and to my joy I saw five HBHMs flitting from flower to flower. It transpired that this week in Mallorca was particularly unusual and for the first time in 7 years the weather had been such that there was an explosion of butterflies. It was big news-even in the local papers! Everywhere you went there they were. It was wonderful and took me back years when we saw such sights in the UK too,at times.

On a walk in the mountains from Cuber Reservoir to Tossals Verd there were thousands of them, no exageration-Red Admirals, P/Ladies, Silver-ys, Cleopatras- but no HBHMs. The Phlomis being a particular favourite food source. The HBHMs kept to the lowlands and the Bougainvilleas. In someplaces there were dozens on one plant, and every plant had them!!!! The gardens were also filled with tiny hairstreaks of a type that I couldn't identify-any thoughts anyone? Another reasonaly common sighting was a form of Speckled Wood, more yellow than normal.

It was truly a wonderful week for a man who still holds on to those boyhood interests and for any other butterfly enthusiast in Mallorca that week. The following week they had mainly gone!!!

Interestingly I saw a HBHM this week on a Ceratosigma in our front garden for two days!! Strange co-incidence!!! By the way - excellent pics!!!!

After a little more research, comparing my sketches with a new bought book, "Photographic Guide to Butterflies of Britain and Europe" by Tom Tolman, I can now say that the "hairstreaks" were actually Long Tailed Blues. (I hope this is of interest to someone!)

As a final note, I was out having a beer with a mate of mine on Saturday night, at a Pub on the South Downs, and we were entertained by yet another HBHM dancing it's way around the hanging backets of surfina petunias. What a great year this is!!!

I last saw a Hummingbird Hawkmoth in Lancashire a few weeks ago. They're fantastic little creatures! Back down here in S.Wales, saw an Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar on some Willowherb in the Sirhowy Valley Country Park. I've never seen the caterpillars before, those'eyes' on the back are fab!

There's a pond in the country park which is great for dragonflies. Usual ones are Emperor (almost always hover around you like they're going to land on you, but don't!), Golden-Ringed, Four-spotted Libellula and Common Sympetrum. The Brecon Beacons National Park around the Brecon area has a nice large pond that hosts more Emperors and Sympetrums, but also Broad-bodied Libellula and a couple I haven't been able to ID. Banded Demoiselles are common in Roath Park near Cardiff (as are Grey Herons, Cormorants and a plethora of wildfowl), and I have been lucky enough to see Beautiful Demoiselles at a couple of locations.

Pic below is Golden-ringed Dragonfly at Sirhowy Valley CP.

Attachments

• goldenringed.jpg
    goldenringed.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 195
A very interesting post red-kite! I've still not seen a definite golden-ringed dragonfly but I keep hoping.
There was a hummingbird hawkmoth on our neighbours' buddleia for much of yesterday. (We've had a couple this summer, too.)
The county bird recorder for Surrey had a convolvulus hawkmoth in his conservatory... I'd love to see one as they have a 11cm wingspan and must look awesome. Unfortunately we don't have any nicotiana in our garden, although they are also attracted to petunias, I've read.

Hi Red Kite, I love your Dragonfly photo.
I have been trying to contact you with a private message, but can't work it, not good with computers.
I wanted to talk to you about an un-Bird forum related matter. Could you e-mail me and let me know if I can e-mail you back or phone you? It is potentially a business matter for some vague point in the future.

Convolvulus is one species I'd really like to see! I used to get a lot of Poplar Hawkmoths in my garden when I lived in Lancashire, and loads of Red, and Yellow, Underwings. I still see the Large Yellows, but no reds. I had read in one of my books that Red Underwings are not found at all in the north of England, yet I would get them in the garden just about every night. They were large and pretty unmistakable!

I remember a Convulvulus Hawkmoth appearing in my parent's garden a few years back. You're right, Surrey Birder, they are big but I never go to see it fly-I just placed it back where I found it and it flew off during the night. You really shoud grow Nicotiana, you know. Especially good is n. sylvestris, which is tall and has one of the best scents. Others to try, mainly for their gardening value are n. langsdorfii, n. rustica and n. knightiana. I also grew a shrubby type once withyellow flowers. I can't recall the name but it was different.

Ridge runner, are these HBHM Creatures of daylight like Butterflies
and not really like Moths? all the pics show them feeding on flowers in daylight?

welcome to BF by the way:t:

Steve, Yes, they are day flyers. I am sure, though, that they venture in the twilight too so they could be loosely termed night flyers also. There are quite a few moths that are active in the day, for example the Silver-Y which is a very active daytime moth but can also be seen flitting around lights at night.

Thanks for the welcome. I found the sight as a way of venting my excitement during my Summer Hols but already I am caught up in the various messages on Clouded Yellows, HBHMs, etc, etc.

I tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to take a photo of a Silver-Y a few days ago, but it kept flitting about from one place to another. The lovely silvery y-shape on their wings is really easy to see, but even the dark background colour of the wings is really beautifully marked.

Ridge - I can't remember whether I said welcome or not, so if not.....welcome! =) Always great to see other birders just as keen on butterflies and moths too!

Found that pic of the Elephant Hawkmoth caterpillar I mentioned earlier, it was a huge thing! Will paste it below.

Attachments

• elephanthawkmothcaterpillar.jpg
    elephanthawkmothcaterpillar.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 172
Here in the South West, HBHM are very easy to see it has been a wonderful summer for these little gems, i was sitting outside a pub in Dartmouth and i counted 6 flying around the hanging baskets and window boxes, Butterflies have had a good summer too.

Ridge Runner said:
I remember a Convulvulus Hawkmoth appearing in my parent's garden a few years back. You're right, Surrey Birder, they are big but I never go to see it fly-I just placed it back where I found it and it flew off during the night.

This has been a record year for Convolvulus Hawk-moths, I even saw one report from Durlston Head (Dorset???) of 9 Convolvulus Hawk-moths in the same trap. We had one here in St. Helens Merseyside 10 days ago, followed by a Bedstraw Hawk-moth.

Both these species can be seen feeding in the same manner as Hummingbird Hawk-moth, usually at dusk.

If you want to see just how big Convolvulus is, I posted a picture of the two Hawk-moths together, here a few days ago. Just go to My gallery, or the same picture is on my web site (below), follow the link to "Migrant Hawk-moths arrive in August".

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back