• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hummzingers (1 Viewer)

received two hummzinger feeders for xmas.

they are pretty lacking in instructions.

i understand the nectar formula, how to fill etc.

what about the ant moat? do people use those and what fluid do you put in the moat? I've heard vegetable oil, but that really did not sound right to me.

I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say about the moats as well. I fill mine with water, but some insects always get through & I've never been sure how well they work.

I fill mine with water as well. I don't think you'd want to fill it with vegetable oil as there is a good possibility that another bird would land in the vicinity shaking the moat and spill the oil either on the feeder or close by. The oil would be very detrimental to any bird who got it on their feathers.

The ant moat is for water only. Fill it 2/3 to 3/4 full with tap water. No hummingbird feeder is 100% ant or other insect proof. But since you should be cleaning and refilling every 2 to 3 days at most, the moat and the reserviour should be fairly free of pests. Some models like the Ultra and Fancy have a nectar guard that can be put into place which is a plastic membranes that fit over the feeder ports on the bottom side of the lid to prevent bees and other insects from entering the reserviour, but allow a hummer's beak to easily pierce the membrane to access the nectar.

As a general rule I fill the moat after each cleaning/refilling.

Last edited:
I fill mine with tap water. You may have some insect problems but I have never had an ant problem with them. I have several of them and they are great feeders in my opinion.

I fill mine with tap water. You may have some insect problems but I have never had an ant problem with them. I have several of them and they are great feeders in my opinion.

I agree - they are excellent feeders -- I have 7 of them but only deploy 5. They are very easy to keep clean and after almost a full year in the AZ sun, the clear bottom shows no sign of fading and the red top is as red now as it was when new. I refill/clean mine every 4 days in the cooler months and every 2-3 days in the hot summer months.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back