• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hurricane Irene Birds (1 Viewer)

I'm a bit frustrated! The park near me is very small and I'm not near any rivers, so I'm not hopeful for any interesting sightings there, and the subway isn't expected to be up and running until late tomorrow at the earliest. Maybe it'll come up before sundown so I can grab a ride to Central Park and see if I can see anything exciting.

Brown-chested Martin in Virginia is probably the biggest storm-related bird news. I also have been posting on this in the "where do birds go in storms news"

There has been some interest on eastern side of the Atlantic as to what may be scooped up by Irene so can our North American cousins keep the reports of "interesting" birds being displaced coming please.

Not ABA-level rarities, but Florida-level rarities have trickled in with the passing of Hurricane Irene off our east coast -- several inland Red-necked Phalaropes in central and south Florida, Hudsonian Godwits in Jacksonville, and an incredible 8+ Cerulean Warblers reported from the Tampa-St Petersburg area.

Carlos

I rate the New Jersey White-collared Swift as the most exciting bird picked up by Irene. I think the Brown-chested Martin was already along the USA coast before the storm and was simply moved to a new location.

The "White-collared Swift" appears to have been determined to be a Black Swift of one of the South American subspecies.

The "White-collared Swift" appears to have been determined to be a Black Swift of one of the South American subspecies.

Black Swift breeds in Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, two islands that Irene directly affected, so the bird surely came from there.

Katia's projected track for the next five days lies to the north of Irene's, and it is too early to know if it will make landfall in the US.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back