• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hutton’s vireo? Ruby-crowned kinglet? April 30 Nanaimo, British columbia (1 Viewer)

chipster454

I saw this bird this morning. There was an orange-crowned warbler, Robin, and barred owl as well on the same tree. I wasn’t sure what it was, so put it through Merlin app, and it came out as hutton’s Vireo as top option. Ruby-crowned as number two. After reading, I found out the two birds are very similar looking. I am originally from Ontario and have seen many ruby-crowned kinglets. For whatever reason I didn’t see that as an option until I put it through Merlin. I did not get a recording of the sound. It is also the only picture I got. The bill being partially open makes it hard to tell the thickness of bill. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• F7E7A8A1-3541-4317-AC1D-015789E08734.jpeg
    F7E7A8A1-3541-4317-AC1D-015789E08734.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Difficult but I guess the vireo, even though first impression was the kinglet. Because: I think I can see a hint of blue legs, the bill is thicker (taking account of its being open), the eye ring and lores seem more extensively white. The latter doesn't definitely distinguish them but photos suggest its generally stronger in the vireo

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at photos of both as well. It is tough to tell. I'll go with Hutton's Vireo unless I get a reason not to.

Why not leave it unidentified? - unless you get a reason not to.
I don't know which it is.
I agree because 100% certainty is off the table. However, this type of photo can call for focus on features that may normally be overlooked and can be a good learning opportunity for future encounters. My best guess is Hutton’s Vireo because the head appears larger and the crown is rounded which I believe to be more vireo like. Also it is once again splitting hairs, but Hutton’s Vireo should have slightly shorter primary projection and appearance of a slightly longer tail than Ruby crowned Kinglet. From what I can see, it lines up with Hutton’s Vireo on that basis as well. I am struggling to draw any conclusions of bill thickness in this photo personally.

Well thanks for the replies. Leaving it unidentified is an option. Not my favorite, but being as 100% certainty isn't there, maybe it's the best option.

I think you could work with the photo to discover exactly what the leg colour is. It looks bluish on my mobile screen but after adjustment on a bigger screen I think you could be sure

I think you could work with the photo to discover exactly what the leg colour is. ...after adjustment on a bigger screen I think you could be sure
In a photo of this low quality (no offence), and on such a tiny patch of artefact-laden pixels, I wouldn't believe the result whatever it was.

In a photo of this low quality (no offence), and on such a tiny patch of artefact-laden pixels, I wouldn't believe the result whatever it was.
That would be up to you if course. I think with practice it's possible to distinguish real pattern from artifact with some degree of reliability

The colour between the wing bars looks dark compared to the rest of the wing and the apparent overall yellowness, (I'm somewhat colourblind but see shades better), which in my western sibley is more in line with the sketch of the Kinglet. But yeah, its going to be very difficult to confirm which species this is, given their similarities and the distance up the tree it is.

Well thanks for the replies. Leaving it unidentified is an option. Not my favorite, but being as 100% certainty isn't there, maybe it's the best option.
The photo is just not good enough to make a confident identification. It does not show enough detail to determine wing pattern, leg color, or primary projection. We all have photos like this. For small birds, it could be a majority of my own. Leaving it unidentified is a much, much better option than claiming it is one species or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back