• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Duck. Central Switzerland. Today. (1 Viewer)

Brosnabirder

Ireland
Hello all.

Can anybody help with the id of this hybrid duck? My thoughts are Tufted x Pochard or Tufted x Ferruginous.

All the best
Tom

ps Apologies for the picture quality.
IMG_4541 (3).JPGIMG_4560 (3).JPGIMG_4530 (3).JPGIMG_4566 (3).JPG
IMG_4572 (3).JPG
IMG_4572 (3).JPG

Hello Tom,
with such a strikingly pale eye, a mahagony sheen (ignoring the violett tinge), a long, slender bill with very restricted black nail and visible white undertail feathers (with chequered dark areas intermixed, which is unusual on a pure Tufted Duck? Right or wrong, just a gut feeling here), one parent is a Ferruginous Duck.
And with a just visible tuft, the other parent is a Tufted Duck. Even in times of corona and closed hair stylists (sorry, couldnt resist that).

Conclusion: its a Ferruginous x Tufted Duck for me.

Thank you both very much. Perhaps it's the same bird I saw nearby a year ago.

All the best
Tom

ps Alexander, hairdressers are still open here so that duck has no excuse. 😀

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back