• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I am thinking the new 32 mm alphas from Swarovski and Zeiss are the best birding binoculars you can buy right now. (1 Viewer)

More Noctivid models would be great to see and I might even consider going for a 12x50.
I think a Noctivid 12x50 would be a tank also, if the Noctivid 8x42 is any indication of the weight and size. That is the reason I sold my Nocitvid 8x42. Too heavy and big. I have a hard time holding 12x steady also. My 12x is, the Canon 12x36 IS III.

I'm with Dennis, NL Pure has way too much glare for day usage and for me it is strictly astronomy glass, I have had views ruined due to glare, it makes a ยฃ2700 bino look like a toy.
I am sticking with Leica as Zeiss gives my eyes problems.
I also enjoy Nikon glass and have a few models I'd like to audition for top spot.

I think a Noctivid 12x50 would be a tank also, if the Noctivid 8x42 is any indication of the weight and size. That is the reason I sold my Nocitvid 8x42. Too heavy and big. I have a hard time holding 12x steady also. My 12x is, the Canon 12x36 IS III.
Trade that 12x36iii in and get one of the latest models, much better stabilizer with the "power mode" had the 14x32 and stabilizer was superb. x36iii picture quality not great, like a cheap porro, the newer models have latest spectra coatings and they are a step up I'm sure ull agree ๐Ÿ‘

Trade that 12x36iii in and get one of the latest models, much better stabilizer with the "power mode" had the 14x32 and stabilizer was superb. x36iii picture quality not great, like a cheap porro, the newer models have latest spectra coatings and they are a step up I'm sure ull agree ๐Ÿ‘
I know nothing... What would one of the latest models be? Many here seem to like that 10X Canon. Is that one?

I tried all the newer Canon's IS binoculars and I didn't care for the eye cups. They were uncomfortable for me, and I had black out problems with all of them. The only Canon's I like after trying them all are the 8x20 IS, 10x20 IS, 10x30 IS II and the 12x36 IS III. The Canon 10x42 IS-L is good optically, but too heavy for me anymore. I can't carry a brick like that anymore.

Why? Canon already has the 15x and 18x50IS. Just bring in better glass and coatings and drop it down to a 12x with maybe 6ยฐ FOV. I think Iโ€™d like a 12x42 as well.
I am getting a little arthritis, and I am not carrying a 42 mm anymore. I am keeping my weight to 23 oz. or less. That is why I think a Canon 8x32 IS-L would be about right with a weight less than 22 oz. for me.

I know nothing... What would one of the latest models be? Many here seem to like that 10X Canon. Is that one?
Tom, the 10L is the real performer and real deal. Theyโ€™re upper mid level , excellent edges, sharp , bright glass and alpha level CA control. All the other Canon IS really fall short optically imo. The Fugi is not bad, better than the non L canon, but 3 pounds and a bit noisy electronics.

I am getting a little arthritis, and I am not carrying a 42 mm anymore. I am keeping my weight to 23 oz. or less. That is why I think a Canon 8x32 IS-L would be about right with a weight less than 22 oz. for me.
I hear you. Different strokes for different folks. Iโ€™ve been enjoying some excellent vintage 7x35 super wide fields and they are like tanks, some over 35-40oz. My shoulders start to hurt after about an hour. Then when I go back to the Noctivids or NLโ€™s they feel light. Oh but those views in 10 to 11ยฐ bins with such sharp and wide views are breath taking. Nothing like them on the market anymore, truly a by gone era in optical observing and image feel, even with some soft edges. Although one of them , the Bushnell/FPO 10ยฐ FOV sweet spot and fall off is as good as any binoculars today without filed flatteners.

I would agree with you about the SF and NL 32โ€™s being the best birding bins in an overall package of optics, FOV, sharpness, weight and ergonomics. Iโ€™d also ad the ELโ€™s a close 2nd to the those and only second because one point deduction for the smaller FOV. Its hard to imagine where Zeiss and Swarovski will go from there , how will the next generation improve. Itโ€™s interesting that Zeiss took a step backwards with the SFL for a new entry.

The 10x41 L IS is the cream regarding the optics but its ergonomics are a bit uncomfortable, bit of a box.
The newer Canons imo have the best stabilizer of any of the models available, they offers an additional power mode along with a standard mode. The power mode offers near tripod stability and is a marvel. I found the glass on these newer models to be excellent.

I hear you. Different strokes for different folks. Iโ€™ve been enjoying some excellent vintage 7x35 super wide fields and they are like tanks, some over 35-40oz. My shoulders start to hurt after about an hour. Then when I go back to the Noctivids or NLโ€™s they feel light. Oh but those views in 10 to 11ยฐ bins with such sharp and wide views are breath taking. Nothing like them on the market anymore, truly a by gone era in optical observing and image feel, even with some soft edges. Although one of them , the Bushnell/FPO 10ยฐ FOV sweet spot and fall off is as good as any binoculars today without filed flatteners.

I would agree with you about the SF and NL 32โ€™s being the best birding bins in an overall package of optics, FOV, sharpness, weight and ergonomics. Iโ€™d also ad the ELโ€™s a close 2nd to the those and only second because one point deduction for the smaller FOV. Its hard to imagine where Zeiss and Swarovski will go from there , how will the next generation improve. Itโ€™s interesting that Zeiss took a step backwards with the SFL for a new entry.
I'm on the lookout for a super wide 7x35, just trying to find a model available in good condition. Buying these older second hand models is a minefield unseen, I've had issues before. I may well just stick with the eii, how do you find these older superwides in comparison to the eii?

The 10x41 L IS is the cream regarding the optics but its ergonomics are a bit uncomfortable, bit of a box.
The newer Canons imo have the best stabilizer of any of the models available, they offers an additional power mode along with a standard mode. The power mode offers near tripod stability and is a marvel. I found the glass on these newer models to be excellent.
Yeabut... What are these newer models you refer to, please?

I tried all the newer Canon's IS binoculars and I didn't care for the eye cups. They were uncomfortable for me, and I had black out problems with all of them. The only Canon's I like after trying them all are the 8x20 IS, 10x20 IS, 10x30 IS II and the 12x36 IS III. The Canon 10x42 IS-L is good optically, but too heavy for me anymore. I can't carry a brick like that anymore.
I really hope that Canon update the 15x or 18x but I very much doubt it. The eye cups are not good and a real let down.
I bought the 12x36iii for astronomy but silly me had the NL pure next to it, not even the stabilizer could trump the NL, I think the 15x is the sweet spot, shame it's a tank. The little Canons x20 sound interesting for day use.

Itโ€™s interesting that Zeiss took a step backwards with the SFL for a new entry.
I know youve been challenged here recently on negative seeming thoughts about the SFL and you've clarified by describing your reaction was to do with price/value. That fair?

But backwards? Im thinking the SFLs, especially the 40s a more a lateral thing. We all by now I hope, get that every bino is a package of choices the manufacturer (or sub brand/marketer) makes to try and offer different choices for folks with different sensibilities. The SFL seems one of those, offering a different set of performance compromises for folks who value those.

The Lโ€™s are definitely like bricks for sure. But the optics are on a completely different level than the non Lโ€™s. Once you get to the L level itโ€™s hard to go back. Iโ€™ve tried them all and a few side by. I currently have the L and the 10x32, which are not near the level as the L. CA is all over the place, theyre not very bright and the two different IS settings seem to be more of a gimmick than true IS improvement. If they made the L version in 30 and 32 that Would be interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back