• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I am thinking the new 32 mm alphas from Swarovski and Zeiss are the best birding binoculars you can buy right now. (1 Viewer)

Dennis... I agree that today's alpha x32s are really fine binoculars. SF, NL, UVHD+.

My only quibble with the NL x32 is the pinched shape of the barrels and the comparatively less-than-sticky armor did not feel as secure in my palms as with the more conventional barrel shape and armor stiction of the UVHD+ and SF. Otherwise... I think that they're all three awesome choices in binoculars!

I wound up keeping 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+, and 8x32 and 10x32 SF. I really have not been able to choose favorites, as I rotate through and enjoy them all immensely. Not to mention my 8x32 and 10x42 Conquest HD that I've used for many years.

My x42s (10x42 SF, 10x42 Conquest HD, and 7x42 UVHD+) are getting comparatively less use, these days, though I still appreciate them as well. 7x42 UVHD+, especially.
Wow! You have quite a selection there! The Zeiss 8x32 and 10x32 SF are superb. When I tried them, I found them almost perfect. I just preferred the optics of the NL a little better. The 7x42 UVHD+ seems to be a popular favorite among the 42 mm.

or Nikon or Leica or Kowa or Meopta or Vortex or GPO or Hawke or Tasco or Olympus or Opticron or ... 😁
just teasing
Maybe a Leica Noctivid 8x32 is on the drawing boards right now. How about Nikon coming out with a new alpha to replace the EDG. That would be intriguing. Meh on Meopta, Vortex, GPO, Hawke, Olympus, Opticron or ESPECIALLY Tasco. The only TRUE alphas come from Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica or Nikon(Notice I Included Nikon because I know you have an MHG). I like your pine cones! Nice.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have bought the swaro 10x32 without the headrest. Even in still conditions outside the shop the image wobbled a little. Mainly down to me physically I think

With the added stability of the rest alongside the small size I'd guess the stability is a big part of why I've been blown away with the results. A friend tried them in very windy January light conditions the other day and was amazed compared to his top end zeiss 42s. (not sure which model, probably not the latest)
Hmm. Maybe I will have to try a headrest on my NL 10x32. Do both the 42 mm NL and 32 mm NL use the same headrest? Will the binoculars fit in the Swaro case with the headrest installed?

Last edited:
It is about 60 degree F inside right now.
The FRP fits all models of NL and the 42 and 32 with FRP mounted fit inside the bags with the bulky neck strap. The bag (case) appears to be designed to hold the bins with the headrest

Hmm. Maybe I will have to try a headrest on my NL 10x32. Do both the 42 mm NL and 32 mm NL use the same headrest? Will the binoculars fit in the Swaro case with the headrest installed?
I don’t know if they all use the same one but they fit in the case just fine. I haven’t removed the rest since I bought the binoculars

It is the wife who keeps the thermostat low or off. At 75 feet amsl, the outside temp does not drop often below 40 degree F

Maybe a Leica Noctivid 8x32 is on the drawing boards right now. How about Nikon coming out with a new alpha to replace the EDG. That would be intriguing. Meh on Meopta, Vortex, GPO, Hawke, Olympus, Opticron or ESPECIALLY Tasco. The only TRUE alphas come from Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica or Nikon(Notice I Included Nikon because I know you have an MHG). I like your pine cones! Nice.
I threw Tasco in there just to be silly 😁 I didn’t think you’d ever buy one of those.
Thanks, I think I’ll be keeping the pine cones. I’ve had a few compliments on it.

I was out earlier at 15 F for brief periods locally at a few different spots. At each spot I only did about 15 min. It’s bitter cold with a mild wind. This morning was only 10 F so I waited until afternoon. Now it’s up to 19. At the little town park there was a guy walking his dog; he had no hat or gloves and his lightweight jacket wasn’t even zipped up all the way. I don’t know how people do that.

I was out earlier at 15 F for brief periods locally at a few different spots. At each spot I only did about 15 min. It’s bitter cold with a mild wind. This morning was only 10 F so I waited until afternoon. Now it’s up to 19. At the little town park there was a guy walking his dog; he had no hat or gloves and his lightweight jacket wasn’t even zipped up all the way. I don’t know how people do that.
He is probably under 30 years old! I have heard some Trashcos are pretty good.

No he’s older and bald ... walks with a cane.
Don't be fooled by his bald head. Many young men have shaved heads now. And he probably carries a cane for protection in case he encounters some of those weirdos that he has heard of who walk about carrying binoculars...................

Lee

Dennis... I agree that today's alpha x32s are really fine binoculars. SF, NL, UVHD+.

My only quibble with the NL x32 is the pinched shape of the barrels and the comparatively less-than-sticky armor did not feel as secure in my palms as with the more conventional barrel shape and armor stiction of the UVHD+ and SF. Otherwise... I think that they're all three awesome choices in binoculars!

I wound up keeping 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+, and 8x32 and 10x32 SF. I really have not been able to choose favorites, as I rotate through and enjoy them all immensely. Not to mention my 8x32 and 10x42 Conquest HD that I've used for many years.

My x42s (10x42 SF, 10x42 Conquest HD, and 7x42 UVHD+) are getting comparatively less use, these days, though I still appreciate them as well. 7x42 UVHD+, especially.
The two 32 mm SF's are superb. I couldn't find anything wrong with them outside of a little glare in the SF 10x32. The NL 10x32 for me has a little less glare in high contrast situations and a little more transparency.

The two 32 mm SF's are superb. I couldn't find anything wrong with them outside of a little glare in the SF 10x32. The NL 10x32 for me has a little less glare in high contrast situations and a little more transparency.
I found the 32mm SF, NL, and UVHD+ to all be wonderful, each with their own personalities and unique attributes. In general, I've come to quite enjoy (tend to prefer) the 32mm bins for most of my uses.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back