• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I am thinking the new 32 mm alphas from Swarovski and Zeiss are the best birding binoculars you can buy right now. (2 Viewers)

Guys, you are missing the fact, that the steeper the viewing angle (the higher the magnification) the less light will be reflected into the optical system. So the amount of light depends on TWO factors, the aperture AND the magnification. This is what the twilight factor tries to combine…
All the best
Andreas

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree with this thread. So many optical properties are controlled by aperture of the objective lens. Angular resolution, exit pupil, relative brightness, twilight factor, light gathering, low light perormance, etc. I tend to recommend as much aperature as you can comfortably carry. For many that is a 42mm. Thats why 10x42 and 8x42 are the most popular configuration. Larger than that they get a bit too heavy, smaller than that performance drops off. I get why the 32mm apeal, they offer light weight, compactness and wide fields of view but there is a drop off in performance especially in lower light conditions. Its not a trade off I find worth it. The key is just get a good bino pack or harness to deal with the added weight.

I have to respectfully disagree with this thread. So many optical properties are controlled by aperture of the objective lens. Angular resolution, exit pupil, relative brightness, twilight factor, light gathering, low light perormance, etc. I tend to recommend as much aperature as you can comfortably carry. For many that is a 42mm. Thats why 10x42 and 8x42 are the most popular configuration. Larger than that they get a bit too heavy, smaller than that performance drops off. I get why the 32mm apeal, they offer light weight, compactness and wide fields of view but there is a drop off in performance especially in lower light conditions. Its not a trade off I find worth it. The key is just get a good bino pack or harness to deal with the added weight.
It might be true that a 42 mm binocular has slightly better angular resolution, a bigger exit pupil, higher relative brightness, a higher twilight factor, better light gathering and superior low light performance than a 32 mm, and I think angular resolution could be argued. The smaller aperture 32 mm and even 25 mm binoculars like the Zeiss Victory 8x25 are very sharp on-axis. But if you notice, all these things you mention are only important in LOW LIGHT. My point is and the point of the whole thread is I think for most birders that bird in the daytime like I do the 32 mm is the sweet spot for a birding binocular. The advantage of carrying a much smaller and lighter binocular is more significant than getting an extra 10 minutes of birding time at sunset, unless you are looking for Owls, and then you probably want a 8x56 or 10x56. We all have to decide based on how we use our binoculars what performance characteristics are more indispensable. My point of this thread is I think the newer 32 mm alpha binoculars like the Zeiss SF and Swarovski NL have improved to the point that unless you do a lot of low light birding, they are the ideal birding binoculars for most people. If somebody were to ask me. Dennis, I don't care about price and I bird mostly in the day and I hike quite a bit what binoculars would you recommend, I would answer get a Zeiss SF 8x32 or 10x32 or a Swarovski NL 8x32 or 10x32.

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make, and which you probably didn't understand, was that when using a 10x25 the image you see, regardless of magnification, is going to get darker quicker than for a person using an 8x32 or even a 7x42. To put it simply a 10x25 might become unusable at 19:00, an 8x32 at 19:30, while a 7x42 will still give you a usable image at 20:00.

Up to a certain point a 10x25 might hold its own against, say, an 8x42 (ignoring other factors like it being difficult to hold still, the tricky eye placement etc, etc), but as the light fails and twilight goes towards complete darkness, the latter bin is going to win every time. The "twilight moment" comes unavoidably earlier for binoculars with a lower brightness factor. It's not for nothing that birders use 7x42 etc when the light is low.
An 8x42 might give you 10 more minutes of viewing time versus a 10x42 right at total darkness, but any other time the 10x42 will outperform the 8x42 in lower light. A 10x42 will outperform an 8x42 a greater percentage of the time in lower light. That is why hunters almost always prefer a 10x42 over an 8x42, because they can count the buck's points in low light. Cabellas stocks mostly 10x42's for that reason because that is what hunters buy. As twilight goes to complete darkness, even an 8x56 or 7x42 isn't going to help you.

Last edited:
In this case a 16x28 would make more sense, the glass has a better twilight performance than a 10x42...

Your attachments are complete nonsense, was the picture taken two hours later with the 8x42 than with the 10x42, or was an extra darkening filter pasted in front of the 8x42 to clarify?

The surface brightness in particular is significantly brighter with the 8x42 than with the 10x42!

It looks like the sun is about to set on the 8x42 while still high in the sky on the 10x42.

Maybe the 8x42 is also very old, the prisms and glasses are dirty and the total transmission is still 3.2%?

Dennis stop that nonsense...

Andreas
Andreas. Although you can argue that the pictures are not valid or the binoculars were dirty, or they had different transmission, the fact is you will see more detail with a 10x42 binocular in low light than an 8x42 binocular, given both binoculars are the same quality and have similar transmissions. You are trying to dodge the point of the post with your superfluous comments. If you don't believe in Twilight Factor or the fact that higher magnification aids low light performance in binoculars, try this. Right at dusk tonite find an object about 50 yards away which has some detail on it like a tree. Look at it to see how much detail you can see at 50 yards. Now move 25 yards closer to it and look at it again to see how much detail you can see. You will see MORE detail now because you are CLOSER to the tree. The surface area of the tree is bigger because you are closer to the tree and a greater percentage of the retina of your eyes which contain rods and cones are now viewing the tree. Rods are responsible for vision at low light levels (scotopic vision). Magnification in a binocular does the same thing! It moves you closer to the tree and in low light you will see more detail. A 10x will move you closer to the tree than an 8x, so you will see more detail with a 10x than you will with an 8x. A lot of people don't realize magnification aids your viewing in low light, just like aperture does.

Attachments

• dist.gif
    dist.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 9
  • dist2.jpg
    dist2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You might think hey its only 10mm difference (32 vs 42) but what you have to realize is that a 42mm lense has a a 72% increase in area compared to a 32mm. That really matters, more than just low light performance. The new alpha bins are incredible, and might be nice in 32mm binocular, but performance wise they dont overcome that difference.

You might think hey its only 10mm difference (32 vs 42) but what you have to realize is that a 42mm lense has a a 72% increase in area compared to a 32mm. That really matters, more than just low light performance. The new alpha bins are incredible, and might be nice in 32mm binocular, but performance wise they dont overcome that difference.
That is true, but you have to decide if you really need the 72% increase in light gathering. For my birding which is mostly in daylight the new alpha 32 mm's are bright enough 99% of the time and 100% of the time they are a lot easier and convenient to carry than a bigger and heavier 42 mm. Plus, they have the advantage of a much larger FOV than most normal 42 mm binoculars outside of the alpha's. If you bird a LOT in low light then IMO that would be the only reason to get a 42 mm, and then I would choose a new alpha 42 mm like the NL or SF for the bigger FOV and better optics vbersus a normal 42 mm if price is not a consideration. That 72% increase in light gathering doesn't help you in the daytime. It might help you for 15 minutes at sunset and daybreak, and then the rest of the time you are lugging more weight around. If you compare a 32 mm NL to a 42 mm NL in daylight, you will see little to no difference in brightness or quality of view. That extra 10 mm of aperture is not needed most of the time. It is like having a 500 HP Corvette. Most of the time you don't need all that power until a Ferrari Enzo pulls up next to you at the stoplight, and the rest of the time you are using all that gas and paying extra auto insurance for that privilege of smoking a Ferrari IF he doesn't get the jump on you. I have a Kawasaki Z900 motorcycle for those times. It is much less expensive, but just as fast as the Corvette.

Last edited:
Well thats nice for you, as you dont find the tradeoffs worth it. Thats fine, but where I have concerns is where you're charecterizing the 32mm as best there is for birding, which I dont agree. 32s simply dont perform better than 42s in a number of metrics. Similarly, 42s dont perform as well as 50s or moreso 56s. Personally I dont mind carrying a little extra weight for the advantages that larger aperature provides. I suppose a I'll just say this, and perhaps we can agree, that optics are a suite of tradeoffs and a person must decide which tradeoffs make the most sense for their individual uses.

Personally I find a 5mm ep is the sweet spot regardless of the format that gets me there, 4mm is a compromise I am willing to make, ( I recently picked up a Leica Trinovid 8x32BN ) especially in the Summer.

Dennis >Post 105<

A 10x42 does indeed have a slight advantage in detail recognition compared to an 8x42 in the twilight!

But you're making an elephant out of a flea here, the 8x42 is still brighter in the area, which means that your shown pictures above suggest a completely wrong impression!
The twilight factor is a completely overestimated value, the more important thing is the EP pupil and the transmission of the binoculars.

Incidentally, most hunters wear 8x binoculars here, perhaps the preference of American hunters for 10x is also related to the wide open country, a 10x42 will always be inferior to an 8x56 in terms of insulation, and the 8x42 from a certain darkness too.
Ultimately, the larger EP pupil will always win out over your twilight effect.

How nonsensical to look at the twilight factor in isolation shows the fact that an 8x56 has a twilight factor of 21, the 10x42 but only 20.5 you would have to see more and more details than with the 8x56, regardless of the twilight phase and despite the lower magnification!

Andreas

Last edited:
Well thats nice for you, as you dont find the tradeoffs worth it. Thats fine, but where I have concerns is where you're charecterizing the 32mm as best there is for birding, which I dont agree. 32s simply dont perform better than 42s in a number of metrics. Similarly, 42s dont perform as well as 50s or moreso 56s. Personally I dont mind carrying a little extra weight for the advantages that larger aperature provides. I suppose a I'll just say this, and perhaps we can agree, that optics are a suite of tradeoffs and a person must decide which tradeoffs make the most sense for their individual uses.
It is just personal preference, really. Some people feel it worth it to carry an 8x56 for the increase in light gathering and ease of eye placement. Have you tried the newer alpha 32 mm's? If you haven't, you might be surprised because there is no doubt you can't BREAK the laws of physics, but I think Swarovski and Zeiss have BENT them a little with these. They have closed the gap between a 32 mm and a 42 mm IMO.

Personally I find a 5mm ep is the sweet spot regardless of the format that gets me there, 4mm is a compromise I am willing to make, ( I recently picked up a Leica Trinovid 8x32BN ) especially in the Summer.
Have you tried the new alpha 32 mm's? IMO, they are a game changer. Most birders don't need a 42 mm anymore with these suckers! Save the weight. Your view of the bird is just as good.:D

Last edited:
A 10x42 does indeed have a slight advantage in detail recognition compared to an 8x42 in the twilight!

But you're making an elephant out of a flea here, the 8x42 is still brighter in the area, which means that your shown pictures above suggest a completely wrong impression!
The twilight factor is a completely overestimated value, the more important thing is the EP pupil and the transmission of the binoculars.

Incidentally, most hunters wear 8x binoculars here, perhaps the preference of American hunters for 10x is also related to the wide open country, a 10x42 will always be inferior to an 8x56 in terms of insulation, and the 8x42 from a certain darkness too.
Ultimately, the larger EP pupil will always win out over your twilight effect.

How nonsensical to look at the twilight factor in isolation shows the fact that an 8x56 has a twilight factor of 21, the 10x42 but only 20.5 you would have to see more and more details than with the 8x56, regardless of the twilight phase and despite the lower magnification!

Andreas
My point is most people tend to underestimate the value of magnification in low light, thinking EP is the only thing that is important. Sometime compare an 8x42 to a 10x42 in low light and try to read a license plate from distance. I have. It will surprise you. In fact as long as there is enough light to see, I would put a 10x42 up against an 8x56 for seeing detail especially at distance. It is true you can make out a wild boar easier with an 8x56 when it is dark, but if there is enough light to see you will be able to his tusks better with the 10x42. It is kind of like getting closer to that tree. When you get closer to something in the dark, you can see it better.:oops:

Last edited:
In fact as long as there is enough light to see, I would put a 10x42 up against an 8x56 for see I would put a 10x42 up against an 8x56 for seeing detail especially at distance.
When is the point where you can no longer see enough?
So if you prefer the 10x42 in twilight the twilight factor doesn't matter, the 8x56 has a bigger twilight factor, so you should be able to see the details better?!

So something seems wrong with your twilight factor.:oops:

Andreas

Have you tried the new alpha 32 mm's? IMO, they are a game changer. Most birders don't need a 42 mm anymore with these suckers! Save the weight. Your view of the bird is just as good.:D
Yes, as I stated in post 61, you asked me the same question in post 63, I haven`t seen any game changing, the newest "Alpha" 32`s are brilliant, no debate, they`re just not quite as brilliant as their 42mm siblings (IMHO), so I`m thinking they`re not the best birding binoculars right now, but I`m happy for anyone who does.

I dont have any problem with someone saying that 8x32 nl pure are vey nice binoculars and a good choice for birding. I recently went to a sporting goods store and spent some time looking through a bevy of top tier glass. They had NL, EL, Victory sf, Leica Noctuvid, Conquest hd, vortex razor, and Leopold B5. I thought the NL was the best of them from an optical performance standpoint. That said, as nice as they are, 8x32 would not be my preferred configuration. I might even take a razor or conquest in 8x42 over a NL pure in 8x32.

I dont have any problem with someone saying that 8x32 nl pure are vey nice binoculars and a good choice for birding. I recently went to a sporting goods store and spent some time looking through a bevy of top tier glass. They had NL, EL, Victory sf, Leica Noctuvid, Conquest hd, vortex razor, and Leopold B5. I thought the NL was the best of them from an optical performance standpoint. That said, as nice as they are, 8x32 would not be my preferred configuration. I might even take a razor or conquest in 8x42 over a NL pure in 8x32.
Good grief! Where do you live that you have stores that stock all those binos???

Yes, as I stated in post 61, you asked me the same question in post 63, I haven`t seen any game changing, the newest "Alpha" 32`s are brilliant, no debate, they`re just not quite as brilliant as their 42mm siblings (IMHO), so I`m thinking they`re not the best birding binoculars right now, but I`m happy for anyone who does.
My point is for most people the new 32 mm alphas are the best overall binoculars when you consider optics, weight and size. IMO the 42 mm alpha's offer a small advantage in low light and if you are primarily using them in the daylight it is not worth carrying the extra weight for most people. You just have to decide for yourself if carrying a 42 mm in the field all day is worth that difference. It is just personal preference. In daylight, a 32 mm alpha offers an identical view to a 42 mm alpha with less weight and bulk.

You would be sacrificing a much larger FOV, more transparency, sharper edges and a much lighter and smaller binocular for a few extra minutes of observing time at sunset. 98% of the time when you are birding during the day the 32 mm alpha will give you a better view with a much wider FOV and superior transparency, and it will be much lighter and more compact to carry ALL day, except for the maybe fifteen minutes when the sun is going down the bigger 42 mm Conquest HD or Razor would be slightly brighter because of the bigger exit pupil. You have to decide, is that 15 minutes worth it to you?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back