• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I Bought a Scope for Hawk-watching,,,Advice???? (1 Viewer)

carjug

I got a bad case of the "I wants" a couple of years ago at the local Hawk counting site. I finally gave in and bought a nice big scope for my sturdy old tripod. I've been practicing up on the local Turkey Vulture congregation. Any advice about getting on a flying bird, when to use it instead of binoculars, or anything else involving scopes and Hawk-watching would be quite welcome.
(Today I watched a family of Eagles eat a small mammal from a quarter-mile away.)

Congrats on your new toy! If your concern about so-called “tunnel vision” - you may try to get a reflex sight and mount it parallel to the spotting scope. You’ll need a rail to mount both devices and a raiser to level the reflex sight, so you could quickly switch back and forth.

Just use a good old cable tie sight - Perfect for sky raptors and you will be on them in a heart beat - I can follow and find high speed sea birds at wave top level with ease - Raptors in the skies are a doddle

I think it was the great golfist Gary Player who coined the phrase
“the more I practice, the luckier I get”
Go outside (even at home) a practice even if you only get on to everyday moving targets (cars, aircraft, pigeons, etc.)

Done. Rigged up a sight on the scope with thin Bungie cord and a rubber plumbing washer from the junk drawer. Got on the moon overhead first try. Amazin' how much stuff you can do when you do stuff. Thanks peeps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back