• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have no Idea, Alentejo Portugal (1 Viewer)

Bert

Birdwatchingalentejo.com
Hi All,
This bird was just now sitting on our terrace, absolutely not shy, I could come within 50 centimeters. Is it an escape or do I overlook something obvious?
Thanks,
Bert

Attachments

• _MG_5844.jpg
    _MG_5844.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 112
Hello, I agree with you: this kind of ring makes this a quite sure escape.
Whitish ground colour meens its some kind of colour mutation, but species is more difficult, at least fo me:
first thinking is (of course) a Canary , but streaking seems wrong (unusual?) for this: narrow, fine and distinct on back and flanks.

I am not an expert in domestic birds and their variation, so I hope for others to jump in and identify this bird.

Hi All,
This bird was just now sitting on our terrace, absolutely not shy, I could come within 50 centimeters. Is it an escape or do I overlook something obvious?
Thanks,
Bert
The ring should identify it...
MJB

Can you catch it and take it to a shelter? Somebody's probably missing it, if they went to the effort to band it. Agree it looks like a canary, but I don't have the experience in canary-like birds to say for sure that it's not something else.

Hello, I agree with you: this kind of ring makes this a quite sure escape.
Whitish ground colour meens its some kind of colour mutation, but species is more difficult, at least fo me:
first thinking is (of course) a Canary , but streaking seems wrong (unusual?) for this: narrow, fine and distinct on back and flanks.

I am not an expert in domestic birds and their variation, so I hope for others to jump in and identify this bird.
I know that in parts of Europe, wildbirds are illegally caught, could this have Yellowhammer in it?

Thank you to Jörn from me, too!
I thought, that Canary has broader, more distinct dark streaks to back and on the flanks. I have seen many differently coloured/hybrids in zoos/collections/parks, but I must admit, that I didnt look closely at them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back