• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I panicked... (1 Viewer)

Kevin2

Yep, I finally had the camera in hand when one of our hummingbirds came to visit, and I just plane old panicked! I got several pictures off, but 1st the auto focus wasn't on AND then I realized I was in the wrong mode. Then I focused on the wrong thing a few times, and in the end, I got one shot out of 15 that is pathetic YET can be proof that hummers do actually visit my hummingbird garden!

I'll do better next time, I'm positive. It was exciting, to say the least...

Kevin

LOL, don't feel badly Kevin. That usually happens to me every time I come across a life bird...even after all this time ;)

If you want some tips on photographing hummingbirds, I can make some suggestions. Mainly, you will want a tripod. Pre-focus on the place where the bird WILL be. To do this, I put the seed-head from a blade of grass into the port of my hummingbird feeder... THE port, since I close off the extra ones with hot glue or tape. You just sit in a lawn chair, with your finger on the trigger, in manual mode, pre-focused on the spot where the bird will be, and trigger the shutter when the bird comes. You'll want to arrange things so you'll be comfortable waiting for the bird. A lawn chair, an arm rest so you can keep your hand on or near the shutter release. I probably get 25 or 50 percent good shots using this technique, though "good" shots, by this definition, include shots where the bird is not full frame. I get as close to the bird as I can, which is maybe as close as you can focus. This should put you and your camera about a foot or less from the feeder. That means moving the feeder, probably, so it's low enough to shoot. I use an extension wire, so I can quickly lower and raise my feeder by inserting or removing the extension.

Greg, that's pretty much how I approach photographing hummers, but with minor variations. I use masking tape to tape off three of the four ports so that I can control where the hummer goes and pre-focus on that port. The masking tape peels off easily for scene variations.

I do not insert any blade of grass or twig into a port, preferring to locate a twig close to the feeder (say, about 8-12 inches). This way, it looks more natural and has enough surrounding negative space for me to crop out the feeder in post processing. I also use fill-in flash when needed, and sometimes a slave flash unit mounted closer to the subject.

Finally, I am in agreement that one needs LOTS of patience, a comfortable patio chair and a cold drink handy.

189865957_ed622f32e1_o.jpg

Last edited:
wings said:
I do not insert any blade of grass or twig into a port, preferring to locate a twig close to the feeder (say, about 8-12 inches).
Great perch on your sample. I'm going to have to try for some perched shots, or landing or taking off.

I don't leave the grass seed-head in the feeder port. It's just a focusing aid, so I can visulize the DOF a bit better.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back