• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ibis Pride (1 Viewer)

Rose Fletcher

Rose from Australia - formerly Birdeye
He is as proud as a bird can be. Standing regally at his full height, holding his black leather head high. The other fellow has better breeding colours, beautiful yellow feathers at his rump, brilliant deep red patches on the back of his neck...but this male has a stick. A fine stick, an excellent item of nesting material; straight(ish), just the right size.

They've come for their breakfast, as they do every morning; only this morning, the man with the stick can't eat. To do so, he would have to drop his stick. Better to go hungry and continue to display the stick in his long curving beak. He twirls it, catching it again expertly. He waves it. Twirls it some more, following close behind the stuck-up little hen, who manages to give the impression that she doesn't consider either of her suitors worth a glance. She can't see the yellow feathers. She can't see the stick. None of this has anything to do with her. They finish their meal, and they leave. Stickman still hasn't eaten. He is still in possession of his stick. The female is still pretending to ignore them both.

I tried to get close enough for a photo, but with my current equipment, not a chance. They come for the food I offer, but expect me to keep a respectful distance. Too long a distance for my 28-80 mm lens, the only one I have at present. It will be another month at least before I can get a better one. What I wouldn't give to have my old long lens now. Will they still be breeding a month from now? Possibly, if the season is a good one. I am building a hide, in an effort to get closer. I hope I'll be able to get photos of them to share. But just in case I don't, I thought I'd tell you about their antics.

At least, right now, I have the privilege of watching something I've never seen before - the breeding behaviour of white ibises. As for photos - I'll do my best.

Birdeye said:
At least, right now, I have the privilege of watching something I've never seen before - the breeding behaviour of white ibises. As for photos - I'll do my best.

A lovely piece of observation and enjoyable to read Birdeye - hope you manage to get some pics and continue with the account
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back