• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID by call? Killcare, Central Coast NSW Australia ///leftovers.barrels.bathtub (1 Viewer)

KillcareCraig

Australia
I'm hoping someone is able to tell me about this bird with very scant information to go off (apologies for that).

We recently moved house (a grand total of about 2km) and thought we were across all the local birds but we'd never heard this one in our dozen or so years in the area. First heard about mid-August and he's obviously found what what he was looking for because now (1 November) we rarely hear him. I've never seen him and I'm afraid I can't even give a recording but if you're musically inclined I'm hoping tapping this out on a keyboard might be enough to go on...

D-D-B (pause) A-A-B-C#

I've nicknamed him the jingle bird because it's a catchy little melody that would round off an ad for a tyre shop or something nicely, although it triggers me slightly missing as it does the completing D at the end of the progression.

Thanks in advance!

Update... I managed to record the call this morning! There's a few chripers in the recording, but the whistle is pretty clear. Anyone know who the whistle belongs to?

Attachments

• JingleBird.mp3
    1.2 MB
You have Australian Magpie with the lovely fluty musical phrases, and the disyllabic "Ko-el" whistle of Eastern Koel here; good you were able to record it as transcriptions of calls are just so hard to comprehend.

I had a feeling that was a Magpie, I only heard one singing once and never managed to get a recording.

I'd love to upload this recording to both the relevant Opus articles for the species, if you don't mind. You will be credited. Could you tell me the date you recorded it please?

I had a feeling that was a Magpie, I only heard one singing once and never managed to get a recording.

I'd love to upload this recording to both the relevant Opus articles for the species, if you don't mind. You will be credited. Could you tell me the date you recorded it please?
Hi Delia,

I've had hundreds of Maggies sing for me (I keep some worms to reward them for a beautiful song but feed them very sparingly. Side note, I have never been 'swooped', no doubt I'm romanticising a correlation), but none had a tune like that, they usually have the gorgeous multi-tonal warble.

You are most welcome to the recording, it was about 06:00 November 4 2022, a more exact what3words location is ///loyalty.salted.flown

Thanks to you and sicklebill for enlightening me!

Hi Delia,

I've had hundreds of Maggies sing for me (I keep some worms to reward them for a beautiful song but feed them very sparingly. Side note, I have never been 'swooped', no doubt I'm romanticising a correlation), but none had a tune like that, they usually have the gorgeous multi-tonal warble.

You are most welcome to the recording, it was about 06:00 November 4 2022, a more exact what3words location is ///loyalty.salted.flown

Thanks to you and sicklebill for enlightening me!
Thanks so much Craig.... I'll work on it tomorrow as it's gone my bedtime here now.

... also for the date info. I used W3W for the first time on Monday, when I had to get the AA out to rescue me. My car battery just died and couldn't be revived!!! Just a point to be wary of, don't use them on an open forum if they relate directly to your house.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back