• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this small bird please (3 Viewers)

The area i saw this bird was enveloped in a fine sea mist this may give the bird a damp and dark appearance,i must admint i did not see a white rump when the bird flew off but it was a long way of and the viz was poor.

I thought a small, dumpy, peachy-fronted, brown-backed, chat with a hint of a super and dark wings on a stone in very early March in UK was a Stonechat.

I'm not gonna look at the pic

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
I thought a small, dumpy, peachy-fronted, brown-backed, chat with a hint of a super and dark wings on a stone in very early March in UK was a Stonechat.

I'm not gonna look at the pic

Tim

Don't get everyone going again Tim ;)

Alan Seaton said:
Nobody's had a proper guess yet, by the way.

I think everyone was afraid their opinion would be considered wrong if they got your silhouette here wrong.

Alan Seaton said:

I'm happy to suggest that silhouette a Robin and the original poster's bird a Whetear (compare wing contrast to rest of bird, chest colour etc.)

Tim

Alan Seaton said:

Mmmmm. . I think we can safely eliminate Dipper, the head appears too large.

The obvious next choice is Red-flanked Bluetail, but the bill appears slightly too long.

So it's between Bluethroat and Siberian Robin. . . . but since I can't see any supercilium on this silhouette, I guess it has to back to the the Bluetail and the apparently over-long bill is merely a photographic artefact. Actually now the tail does look blue to me (or could it be my monitor?), and I'm sure I can detect some blue on the shoulder. Ok then. Definately a first winter male Red-flanked Bluetail . . .

Last edited:
Is your skillhouette an Alpine Acky Alan? Taken against the sun on a Caucasian ridge or Suffolk church maybe? It's been a long night...

James

Alan Seaton said:

Sorry Alan - I thought it was a rheotorical question. It has the same long wings, relatively short tail and large head as the mystery bird.

Jane Turner said:
Sorry Alan - I thought it was a rheotorical question. It has the same long wings, relatively short tail and large head as the mystery bird.

Exactly. Plumpness (or sleekness) is often a function of how fluffed up a bird is at the instant the shutter is opened and also whether or not the bird is presenting a full profile, or a three-quarter view - especially if the subject is silhouetted.

Attachments

• Wheatear 07.jpg
    Wheatear 07.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 97
May have actually seen the bird in question.

Not an easy pic to tell for sure but if that was at Pepperhole Point near Stepper Point (near Padstow) then it could be the female Black Redstart I saw well there last week.

Last edited:
Andrew said:
Not an easy pic to tell for sure but if that was at Pepperhole Point near Stepper Point (near Padstow) then it could be the female Black Redstart I saw well there last week.
Thats right where i saw this bird thanks for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back