• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ideas for a holiday please!!! (1 Viewer)

IF your OH likes Eagles, Vultures etc then Southern Spain in Autumn is a must to see the migration of hundreds, if not thousands migrating birds of prey, sometimes just overhead.
Have a look at this website http://www.olivaramatours.com/

Jules is an excellent guide and a great person in himself as many on here will testify. One of his holidays could be the answer for you, in particular I'm thinking of the Andalusian Adventure ones, accommodation, food, transport is all provided all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the wildlife, and of course Spain.

Have a look at Jules site, especially the Holidays Home link.

Regards

John

Hiya

Have a look at ultimate pelagics, they charter luxury cruise liners to go whale dolphin and seabird watching.

Fantasic if you can get a balcony suite a real treat for any wildlife enthusiast.

Em

I'm not discounting anything at the moment Steve! The real issue I think is going to be cost for my OH. The India trip really stretched his budget so he really wont be able to afford a big trip this year which means, as nice as it sounds that the Spain migration trip would probably be out). So, I think we might have to settle for a week away with a budget of around £300 pp (of course I may well go away on my own as well!).

Is there a good place in Scotland where we can spend a week on that sort of budget and see White tailed and Golden Eagles, some of the other scottish specialties and maybe some whales/dolphins? If so, when is the best time to visit.

Hi Jo!

That's the trouble with holidays, you start thinking about the next one!

I went to Mull a few years ago for a few days in the spring. I stayed in Tobermory which is very pretty. Not only did I see both species of Eagle, but also Corncrake on Iona and a couple of Otters.

There are boat trip companies in Tobermory that go out to sea to look for Minke Whale. I can't remember their names now, but that's worth looking into. Summer would be best for whales, dolphins and basking shark. But it's also the time of year for midges. Eagles and Otters are there all year round of course, but summer would be impossible to see a Corncrake.

NW mainland Scotland is a pretty good option. I've led a couple of tours there, and apart from the birds the scenery is just fantastic, especially if the sun shines! We had otters near Durness, heard Corncrake, saw Pink-footed Goose (in July!), Black-throated and Great Northern Diver, Goosander, summer plumaged Golden Plover, seabirds galore at Handa (along with seals) and White-tailed Eagles SW of Ullapool.

Steve
http://www.birdinginspain.com

kittykat with the dollar so weak florida should be within your budget - car rental there is very cheap. Cheap to fly there from UK. Accomodation reasonable. I would stay at flamingo, Naples and keys.

Mexico - Flying to Cancun is cheap - The aztec temple chicinitza. Diving - cozumel.

Good luck and Good Birding

For a close, relatively cheap trip Spain is ideal. Though wolf watching likely to be very difficult - I posted a request for information on wolves in Spain in the Spanish forum.

I also enjoyed the French Pyrenees, which have the advantage that Col du Tourmalet must be the easiest place in the world to see snow finch and there seem to be considerably more marmots on the French side.

Depending on flights c. £300 per person without a guide not out of the way for Col Tourmalet area.

Send me a pm and I can get birder friendly hotel details to you in the area.

Thanks all for the ideas. We have booked a trip to Mull for June but I might also try and sneek in another trip somewhere later in the year.

Why not Ontario, Canada?

Hello KittyKat23 -

Why not volunteer at the Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory in Ontario, Canada? I am on the Board of Directors, and i can tell you that this is a VERY unique opportunity indeed!

Below is our general blurb, but you should also know that a great SCUBA diving location replete with many shipwrecks to explore in a National Marine Park is really close by! (see http://www.tobermory.org/diving.html)

No big cats, sorry, but you might get to meet my flying squirrels (see http://www.hummingbirdservices.ca)!

Cheers,

faunistic
(Steve Patterson)

=============================

Are you interested bird migration and contributing to “citizen science” by observing and banding migrating birds? If so, please consider applying to volunteer at the Cabot Head Research Station on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario. The Bruce Peninsula Bird Observatory (BPBO) is seeking volunteers to assist the Station Scientist in spring (April 15 - June 12) and in fall (August 15 - October 31). Experience in field ornithology or banding is preferred but not essential.

Housed on site in a well-furnished cottage (internet available), volunteers participate in all aspects of the Observatory’s activities. The days start early – mist nets are opened 30 minutes before sunrise. During 6 hours, the 15 mist nets are checked every 30 minutes and captured birds are extracted and brought back to the laboratory where they are banded, processed, and released. Observations of birds on-site takes place between net checks and during a formal census. After the monitoring period each day, data are compiled.

Most of the day’s work is over by early afternoon, meaning you have time to explore the spectacular Bruce Peninsula (National Park, Georgian Bay, UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Dark Sky Community…). Volunteers who stay at least 3 weeks may receive $8/day toward their food. Accommodation is provided for all volunteers free of charge, in shared bedrooms.

For more information, visit our website at http://www.bpbo.ca/volunteer.html and apply for a volunteer position, or contact Dr. Stéphane Menu, the Station Scientist at stefmenu 'at' gmail.com or Ted Cheskey, BPBO’s President, at echeskey 'at' sympatico.ca.

Over the years, we've had volunteers from many different countries - who knows what new friends you will make! Positions are filling up fast for this unique opportunity!

Last edited:
My pleasure KittyKat23! We've had folks from Britain, France, Germany, Netherlands, South America, USA...

Contact me directly at bpboATsympaticoDOTca should you find the need.

Steve Patterson
BPBO Director

Danube Delta it's a great deal, a very beautiful place!
The fauna includes many species of birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians, as well as 3,018 species of invertebrates. Impassioned ornithologists and birders can admire approximately 330 species of birds over the course of the year, many of them otherwise very rare in Europe.
- The quintessential Danube Delta bird is the pelican, represented by both European species: the Dalmatian Pelican(Pelecanus crispus) and the White Pelican (Pelecanus onocrotalus). Other notable birds found n the Delta include Saker (Falco cherrug), White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla), Red-footed Falcon (Falco vespertinus), Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis; winter only), European Roller (Coracias garrulus), European Bee-eater (Merops apiaster), Syrian Woodpecker (Dendrocopos syriacus), Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus), European Spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia), and a host of others.
- The most common mammals include the otter (Lutra lutra), with one of the most significant populations in Europe; the wild cat (Felix silvestris); racoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides); and wild boar(Sus scrofa). Reptiles are well represented by the dice snake (Natrix tessellata), grass snake (Natrix natrix), spur–thighed tortoise (Testudo graeca), and European pond terrapin (Emys orbicularis); a variety of lizards is also present.
- Fish are also richly represented in the Danube Delta. The main species are carp (Cyprinus carpio), catfish(Silurus glanis), pike (Esox lucius), sander (Stizostedion lucioperca), and sturgeons. As a curiosity, the smallest fish recorded in the Danube is a chub no longer than 3.2 cm. Also, the biggest pike ever captured weighed 18 kg and was over 1 meter long; the largest catfish weigh nearly 400 kg!

Dear all

Always one to start planning my holiday early, I'd like some ideas for a wildlife based holiday for next year. Considering I am off to India next month I would say that it would either need to be a main holiday (2 weeks anything up to about £2000 for travel and accommodation) some time in autumn 2008 or a couple of cheaper breaks (c. £200 to 400 for travel and accommodation) with perhaps a view to another biggie in the spring of 2009.

My interests are birding (duh!) but also scuba diving and mammals, particularly big cats. So far I have dived the red sea twice, been on safari /diving in Kenya last November, attempted to dive the dominican republic (2002) and been to India birding/safari in 1995 and of course going again this year.

I loved all the above except the Dom rep, but that was for a variety of reasons, and I'm sure if I were to go again with the right person, things would be a lot different.

This November is my first holiday in five years with my partner and he has only ever been to Europe and never been on a wildlife-based holiday before. If we get on well, hopefully he'll want to come on holiday with me more often and if so, it might be that I go for a couple of shorter breaks, one with him and one either diving or doing something else. He is not so interested in wildlife unless it is big and predatory (he like wolves, big cats, birds of prey etc, but not little brown jobs). He also doesn't get on well in very hot or humid climates. He also likes good food, beer, relaxing and heavy metal! :eek!:

We have yet to visit North or South America, or most of Europe.

So any ideas gratefully received.
hi john here take your breath away go to alaska in fall hope this helps say no more bye

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back