• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Illinois May 2019 (1 Viewer)

Please help with these ids.

My initial thought was Swainson's Thrush, but the spectacles do not seem prominent enough. Made me think of Gray Cheeked, although I am not sure if the coloring is right.

These are two different tanagers. One seems to have a much larger bill, possible Summer Tanager. I am thinking the one with the smaller bill is female Scarlet Tanager. Both were in the same area as the male Scarlet Tanager.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 028_02.JPG
    028_02.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 032_04.JPG
    032_04.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 234_05.JPG
    234_05.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 237_03.JPG
    237_03.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 24
#s 3-4 are both female Scarlet Tanagers. Photo angle is strange on #3, but a look at the bill confirms Scarlet Tanager.

I am puzzled by the thrush. It may well be a Hermit Thrush, but to me the face looks more like Gray-cheeked. I will admit that the tail looks distinctly reddish, but maybe Hermit should show a more pronounced color change? I hate to throw in the idea of a Bicknell's, and it couldn't be confirmed with these photos, but something makes me uneasy about calling this Hermit.

Hopefully others will come along to sway me to the Hermit camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back