• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm going to Malaysia/Borneo!! (1 Viewer)

Gemfyre

Australia
I'm still in a state of disbelief. My parents were going and offered to take me. Turned out they were serious, so in early July we'll be heading over there for 2 weeks. 6 nights in KL and 8 nights in Kuching.

Of course, I am ultra-keen on the birding. I've ordered 2 field guides off Amazon (it seems impossible to find a single guide that covers both West and East Malaysia that isn't photographic).

I'll mainly be doing tours with my parents but a lot of them will focus on nature so I'll get plenty of opportunities to see lots of awesome birds.

Is there a list of Malaysian birds available online? Any species I should look out for (I'd love to find a Garnet Pitta, but a bit of research and that seems unlikely).

Omigosh I am so excited. This will be my first time overseas as well.

Gemfyre,
Lucky you!!! I've never birded in the region, but can give you a link to Avibase . You can print off a checklist for anywhere in the world from their wesite.
Bon voyage,

Of course!

I forgot that site existed.

Just checked out the list and I'm now very excited. I'd really love to see a Garnet Pitta but I don't fancy my chances. I also see Spoon-billed Sandpiper is on the list, what I'd give to see one of those but it's going to be the wrong time of year for waders.

I've a birdlist that's taken just 7 months to build up since we started the hobby. It's all Peninsular Malaysia only.
http://nature.jasnjohn.com/index.php?tab=birdlist&selector=all

You can select any of the birding places on the left to see what's been spotted there so far.

If you're looking for photographic guides, there's one by Morten Strange, not sure if it's available from Amazon though.
Have a GREAT time in Malaysia!

John

It is worth getting hold of Craig Robson, Birds of Southeast Asia and also McKinnon, Bird of the Greater Sundas. These books cover both sidesof Malaysia. Another option is Birds of West Malaysia and Singapore, though Oxford have stopped printing this now.

You will really enjoy both areas. However, if you wish to see Garnet Pitta you will have to go to Taman Negara, a huge national park 4 hours from Kuala Lumpur. Theyare very tricky birds to see. Unfortunately Spoon-billed Sandpiper is just a rare vagrant to Malaysia. If you would like any further information on Malaysia just send me a PM, I currently in Malaysia and have just visited the main birding areas, Fraser's Hill and Taman Negara, both superb areas. Try to get copies of Morten Strange's photographic guides to both Taman Negara and Fraser's Hill too, great little books to carry around.

James

I've actually got Robson's book and Strange's photo guide - they were a deal together on Amazon. They arrived about a week ago and I've been studying up ever since.

I do believe a trip to Teman Negara is on the cards so here's hoping a little purple and red jewel shows up. It's nice to know where a good spot is to find them so thanks for the info. :)

I've actually got Robson's book and Strange's photo guide - they were a deal together on Amazon. They arrived about a week ago and I've been studying up ever since.

I do believe a trip to Teman Negara is on the cards so here's hoping a little purple and red jewel shows up. It's nice to know where a good spot is to find them so thanks for the info. :)

hehehe no plan for mt kinabalu and danum valley ?

Do bring some leach socks (they can also be bought there), esp. if visiting some of the lowland sites in Borneo. You're lucky, it's an amazing region and you're in for some great birding (even more so if this is your first time overseas). Pitta's are to a large extend "playback birds". That is, unless you've got a tape with the voice of the respective species, the chance for seeing one is generally quite small. But if does happen; I more or less stumpled upon the first (and so far only) Giant Pitta I've seen - it appearing as surprised as I was.

EDIT: Well, didn't see this was an old thread that had been "re-opened" by an earlier post. Gemfyre; if you ever made your way to Malaysia I hope you had a great trip.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm heading to Malaysia tomorrow, starting in Malacca, going on to KL and maybe Borneo in a week. Have been in Singapore the past week and the birding at teh Wetlnad reserve is pretty good for a place mostly covered in concrete and malls!!! Malaysia will be even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back