• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where/how to hire a guide in Borneo? (4 Viewers)

nicolas1970i

Hello,

So I didn't have much luck with my previous questions, they were probably too vague - I've since made progress in researching my trip.

From what I understand, the birding circuit is pretty much standard (looks like it'll be a Sabah trip exclusively, unless I have a lot of time, or other interests take me elsewhere), and reaching the different hotspots, even on one's own, is not a problem.

If I wanted to organise my solo trip independently (I can ask for an agent to sell me a whole package, but the cost for a private solo tour will be astronomical... ), and take care of my accommodation/meals and transport, would it be possible to hire a bird guide at each location ? I know that for Danum the Borneo Rainforest Lodge already provides guides, and Tabin too (although I don't know if theirs are private, or if they only do group activities), but what of Mt. Kinabalu, Sepilok, Sukau... ?
Are they available in situ, or do I have to hire someone, and take them with me on the trip, from KK ?
I remember that Birdlife had very helpful pages for local guides in South Africa, but I can't find something equivalent for Malaysia/Borneo.
Do you have any resources to suggest ?

Thanks in advance !

It’s a long time since I was in Borneo, but some of the lodges in kinabatangan had expert guides available and organise birding focussed boat trips e.g. Robert Chong at kinabatangan jungle camp. No idea if he’s still around though.
I very much doubt there are any in situ guides available in sepilok or Kinabalu NP, but I could’ve wrong. These areas were reasonably straightforward to do on your own, but of course a good Bornean guide could help with difficult/key species.
Cheers
James

Thanks James,

I'll keep investigating.
I don't feel confident enough to go birdwatching in tropical forest on my own yet - not that I wouldn't have fun, but would probably see 20 or 30% of what is there.
I had a fantastic guided trip in Brazil a few years ago, I found that for some difficult species, it is often a case of knowing precisely where an individual is hanging out, or nesting, etc.. which requires up to date local knowledge. Not to mention the ability to pick up on any call - unfortunately I have a terrible auditive memory 😅.
I have a copy of "Where to watch birds in Asia", which has a lot of information, and I can take inspiration from bird reports and tour itineraries, but I know I would still miss out on so much.

Cheers

Got it, I fell for it
Aren't there independent birdwatching guides in Borneo ?
I haven't had luck looking at various websites. Like I mentioned earlier, Birdlife South Africa for instance has pages with bird guides directories, for each location, but the Malaysian equivalents don't.

Hello,

So I didn't have much luck with my previous questions, they were probably too vague - I've since made progress in researching my trip.

From what I understand, the birding circuit is pretty much standard (looks like it'll be a Sabah trip exclusively, unless I have a lot of time, or other interests take me elsewhere), and reaching the different hotspots, even on one's own, is not a problem.

If I wanted to organise my solo trip independently (I can ask for an agent to sell me a whole package, but the cost for a private solo tour will be astronomical... ), and take care of my accommodation/meals and transport, would it be possible to hire a bird guide at each location ? I know that for Danum the Borneo Rainforest Lodge already provides guides, and Tabin too (although I don't know if theirs are private, or if they only do group activities), but what of Mt. Kinabalu, Sepilok, Sukau... ?
Are they available in situ, or do I have to hire someone, and take them with me on the trip, from KK ?
I remember that Birdlife had very helpful pages for local guides in South Africa, but I can't find something equivalent for Malaysia/Borneo.
Do you have any resources to suggest ?

Thanks in advance !

@horukuru is a fantastic guide in Sabah and knows all of the sites you mentioned really well. He is regularly on Birdforum. Otherwise DM me and I can pass on his contact details as well. Log in to Facebook

I recently went birding with Mr Romzi from Sukau / Kinabatangan. He specializes on Bornean Ground Cuckoo but is just generally well respected (and I really liked him). He was wonderful. Please DM me if you would like his contact details.

The night walk at Sepilok's rainforest discovery centre might not be particularly birdy, but it is great fun

In the meantime, I've received a quote for a 7D/7N birding trip from KK to Lahad Datu, encompassing Crocker Range, Kinabalau NP, Sepilok and Kinabatangan. That is, excluding from the standard circuit the nicer lodges at Danum and Tabin - which I could add by myself as they've got their own guides.
Price is 29.000MYR for a private solo tour, works out at around US$900/day. I don't really understand how that is possible. That's way more than the daily price of a stay at Borneo Rainforest Lodge (which also gives a private guide to their guests). It's also about 3 times more expensive than the price of a solo guided birding trip I did in Brazil (Manaus and South East) a couple of years ago.
I really don't get it.
Might have to just rent a car, if I need to, and do it unguided

Hello,

I'm bringing this back up as my trip is now confirmed, I'll be in Borneo between the 14th of March and the 11th of April.
I will have 20 or 21 full days of birding available (as I will save the others for diving), and I'm wondering about the ideal distribution of those days between the various locations.

I have decided to rent a car and bird by myself (but if I can hire a guide locally, for some spots, I'll be happy to do it), I'll drive between the spots after the morning birdwatching (leaving around 10-11am I guess). I was thinking about this itinerary (which I could do clockwise - north then south - or counterclockwise):

Crocker Range (1 night)
Kinabalu NP (3N)
Poring Hot Springs (1N)
Sepilok (1N)
Kinabatangan (3N)
Danum (4N)
Tawau Hills (2N)
Maliau Basin (3N)
Trus Madi (2N)

Is this correct and and enough for each place?

You may have already found it, but I recently put up a trip report of my trip from a few months ago onto Cloudbirders.com. Contact info for Romzi, Danum Valley Field Centre etc. are in the report.

There seemed to be at least one guide at the DVFC who we met who was very knowledgeable about birds (unfortunately I didn't catch his name). So, despite the DVFC office telling us they don't have any birding specific guides, I suspect if you specify with the DVFC office that you would like a guide who knows the birds they would set you up with someone suitable.

Tim Forrester raved about Maliau Basin but unfortunately I didn't have time to get there. I also don't really know anything about Tawau Hills but am wondering if it is worth spending two nights there vs adding another day to Maliau/Danum or even throwing Klias Swamp onto the beginning/end of the trip. Might make sense logistically though, as I presume it is a long drive between Danum and Maliau.

Thanks for the info Avery, I was reading reports on Cloudbirders yesterday, but started with the ones for the March-Feb period, I see yours is the most recent, I'm going to check it right now.

I am still trying to go to the Borneo Rainforest Lodge, but they haven't answered my emails yet, if I can't I'll go to the DVFC.

A couple of questions off the top of my head:

With regards to Kinabalu NP, is it restrictive to stay outside the park - at what time do they open to visitors? Is it preferable to stay inside, or does it make no difference?

Also, how does one bird Crocker Range? On birt tour itineraries description it looks like they do it in one morning driving up to Kinabalu NP and it's a little light on details. I've seen some people mention they walk up and down the road from the Rafflesia Center (or Gunung Alab substation), and I've also stumbled upon this video from Gunung Alab, which shows a couple of hides. I wonder if those hides are permanent or if they are set up privately by birders:

I've thought about Klias Swamp too, I might have time to squeeze it in my itinerary if I shave a night off my stay in Mabul/Sipadan. I Tawau there is allegedly a guide that is recommended that could take me up the Hills. I haven't got much info on Trus Madi yet, but I think I would have to change car and rent a 4x4 specifically for this portion of the trip (or go by taxi, or some other way).

I know, buddy, I readed correctly ! These prices are crazy, or maybe you have a luxurious suite with jaccuzi, etc etc, lol !!!
Of course it depends on everyone, but in this kind of country, of travel, of Culture, you can also really without problem, easily, find a villager who will be happy to serve as your guide if necessary, and who knows his entire region by heart !!!

Yeah, I imagine those agencies probably almost never had to deal with a demand for a private tour of 1 pax, so they haven't really figured out how to price them. That's as generous as I can be in my interpretation 😄
I'll still try to get some local contacts before I get there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back