• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

im new here and have a hummingbird question :) (1 Viewer)

cassie321

Hi, im new here! :) I have a hummingbird that is territorial and runs all the other hummers off the feeders. I was watching him and noticed his bill is deformed and they look like scissors. I noticed him landing on another feeder and pushing on his bill. I think he was trying to fix it maybe? He can still eat out of the feeder and I saw his long tongue. my question is is there anything I can do to help him, or should i just leave him alone and watch him? Has anyone else seen this before? Am having difficulties uploading an attachment :/

Hi cassie and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Occasionally, you will see some bill deformities in the hummingbirds. As long as yours is feeding from the feeders and flowers, I would not interfere in any way. These guys are called the "jeweled warriors" for a reason ;) They are very territorial when it comes to feeders and spaces they habitat ;)

Hummingbird

Hi, im new here! :) I have a hummingbird that is territorial and runs all the other hummers off the feeders. I was watching him and noticed his bill is deformed and they look like scissors. I noticed him landing on another feeder and pushing on his bill. I think he was trying to fix it maybe? He can still eat out of the feeder and I saw his long tongue. my question is is there anything I can do to help him, or should i just leave him alone and watch him? Has anyone else seen this before? Am having difficulties uploading an attachment :/
Well welcome to bird forum cassie.. I can,t resist
at least mentioning something which might be helpful even thou in the uk
we don,t get hummers here, thou there are many members of bird forum
from the states come on here who mention hummers not many talk about
If any about deformitys in hummers bills, Unless its a gradual process that
Develops slowly or quickly I,m unclear of If he,s manageing now to survive
He should carry on now to do so If this deformity has reached a peak
Not something i have witnessed before in any birds thou they may be
Others here that can throw more light on the subject for you....

Thank yall for the replies :) Ive noticed him rubbing his beak on the side of another feeder and I'm not sure but am assuming he is trying to fix it. I have approximately 20 birds, 6 feeders and he is the most territorial of them all. His beak literally looks like scissors that are slightly open :/

Hi Cassie and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Ive uploaded pictures on my profile of the hummingbird. Not the best quality but Id appreciate any insight as to what could cause his bill to look like that. Also what kind he may be. Thank Y'all for welcoming me!!! :)

I just saw them in the Gallery and it looks to be a male Ruby-throated Hummer. He seems to be feeding okay but as to what has caused it is anyone's guess.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits. Could it be a defect from birth?

He is the most territorial of all the hummers I have and ive even seen him run off wasps and bees so I think it may be a fighting injury but im not sure. :/ he has a a feeder all to himself so I know he's eating good :)

Welcome to the forum, nice to have you here. I have seen hummingbirds with normal bills rubbing them on the side of the feeders, so it is not just the deformity. As others have said as long as he is eating I wouldn't worry to much about him.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back