• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

imagic 80....now what? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Marrison

on an impulse i got the opticron imagic 80 with a 20-60 zoom. I'm a total novice and i thought i'd better get some expert advice on a digital camera upgrade...with a view to digiscoping
so i had a few novice questions
1) which camera - looking at - Nikon cp5400
- Olympus c5050
- Fuji fp s602
- canon g5
Any advice/alternatives gratefully received

2) Adaptors - I think opticron produce a teleadaptor/universal adaptor/fixed lens thing (i've read the lterature and i just don't get it!!!!!) What would I need, and how much does it depend on my choice of camera?

3) where in the west coast of scotland could i go for a good face to face consult?

cheers

Hi Andrew,
My opinion would be to get a cp4500, it still offers the easiest route, in that adapters to connect camera to scope are readily available for it.... a conventional tube type adapter would be £50-£80 (L.C.E. or Eagle-eye Digimount).
I think you're referring to the opticron bracket to hold the camera up to the scope's eyepiece... one or two threads on this device on here, not too popular by all accounts.

Can't help you on fiding a digiscoper in W. Scotland... hopefully one may pop up on here. I do know someone in Edinburgh who teaches digiscoping, but it's more ££ I'm afraid :-(
Regards,
Andy

The fuji s602 will not work for digiscoping! The other three will most likely work, but will have vignetting even at full zoom, if you buy one of those three for digiscoping be sure you can easily return it if not happy. I'm thinking of buying a couple of cameras from circuit city to try out, i know they'll take them back no questions asked.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back