• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In my sunroom! (2 Viewers)

nimmy

United States
My dog was growling at the back door that leads to our sunroom. My girlfriend shouted from the kitchen that I needed to come see the hawk in the sun room! Of course at first I wasn't buying it but once I saw it I was astonished. I didn't want to get bit and have little experience handling birds anyway so I grabbed it with some tongs and gently placed it on the back of a chair outside. It flew off with no issues and landed in a pine tree about 100 yards from the house. I later saw it near the fence in my back yard and it flew off again. I'm guessing it may be hunting the opossum that lives outside my fence. Please let me know what this bird is. Thanks!!20230813_082056.jpg20230813_122304.jpg

Looks like a Mississippi Kite. Certainly an odd bird to make it into the house :unsure: although I think it's more likely it was after insects or other small critters, after all an (adult) Opossum is probably too large for it to tackle. I'm assuming this was in the US, which state?

Hi Nimmy - gosh what an experience for you both!!! Well done managing to get him out safely too.

Can you please let us know where in the States this was, and I take it the date was this week?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back