• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Incorrect bird names (2 Viewers)

Slight digression but the three ears story reminded me of it. In the Shell Guide from 1983 the outline of the Surf Scoter is a bit feint and for some while I thought it actually had a sort of tower on its head.

Balearic Shearwater. I don't say it for a few months and then I have to learn it again.

Gerygone was one that got me -- I thought it was Jerry-goan but turns out it is Jer-ig-oh-nee.

On another note when I hear someone say skua on a pelagic for some reason I think of the kitchen utensil first...no idea why.

I once left a message with a birding friends partner about an Ivory gull that I was heading off to see. When the news made it's way to him, it took him a while to work out why I was going to look for Ivor Eagle....

Worst of all because it appears in so many official lists . . .

"Cinereous Vulture" for [Eurasian] Black Vulture.

'Cinereous' means ash-coloured, i.e., pale greyish-white, NOT black. Totally wrong for this bird.

The cause is a US imperialist who decided that Europe's Black Vulture had to be renamed so that they could keep 'Black Vulture' for their bird. But they didn't know their Latin and mixed up cineraceus (ash-coloured) with fuligineus (soot-coloured). Why do we have to put up with this?? :storm:

Just call it a Black Vulture. I do. I have only seen Black Vultures twice, both times in central Spain where the American species does not occur.

I realize that there was some discussion a while back about putting the American vultures in the same classification as the storks, but I do not think that ever came about. They are still vultures as far as I know.

My wife enjoys saying "Paradigm Falcon" and "Prometheus Warbler" to taunt me.

Using "vulture" to refer to the New World vultures does render the term paraphyletic, but "condor" sounds too impressive for the smaller ones. Maybe "Black Mini-condor?"

Last edited:
Vicious Sparrow Lark was head from an older tour group member whilst in East Africa - I suppose there might also have been a particularly violent Lovebird in the area also!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back