• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Independent Senegal? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I've been looking at Senegal as my possible next trip but it's pretty expensive (£4-5500) compared to what I usually pay . Has anyone organised this independantly i.e used a guide with a driver but without using a tour company?

There aren't many new birds for me but what there is, is scarce and / or local including several Bustards, Quail Plover, Golden Nightjar, Sudan Golden Sparrow, etc and for perspective, we did Ghana for less than half, of what most companies charge so would hope to do the same?

Here is one itinerary, just to see the possible species list.

Have you checked Cloudbirders (so I don't get the feeling I write reports nobody reads)... ;)

2nd report in this list:

Any questions (I can hopefully answer): please ask!
I found Senegal to be a wonderfully easy country to travel in, with sometimes very good / scenic accomodation and (if you don't go in March like we did) good temperatures.
The landscapes were not the most spectacular, but the target birds more than make up for that, and birds are plentiful throughout.

Flying out on Tuesday for 12 days. Recent news that Elections are being rescheduled probably means any unrest may die down. Not had our ground crew tell us not to go.

Typically we do our trips independently but opted to get a driver and guide to save us the hassle during a trip that came together quickly. Going full dude on this one and looking forward to it.

So if hiring a guide and a driver now counts as "independent", what is the word for, you know, independent travel? This redefining of terms then sadly makes looking for useful reports needlessly difficult.

So if hiring a guide and a driver now counts as "independent", what is the word for, you know, independent travel? This redefining of terms then sadly makes looking for useful reports needlessly difficult.
Not redefining, simply means not with a tour group, eg Birdquest etc. Presumably they are able to discuss and set locations/duration at each site/targets/who fellow travellers are, etc, none if which can be set if with a tour group.

Though not my preferred means, surely hiring a driver is not much above hiring a car. As for guide, even less my style, but again it's only a step above birding with a local friend if you happened to have one there or going with another birder who is far better than you.

This redefining of terms then sadly makes looking for useful reports needlessly difficult.
Not really... The usefulness of a report lies in the amount of organizational detail it contains, regardless of whatever (rather snobby?) definition of 'independent' one applies. It's perfectly possible to travel (by your definition) independently and write an entirely useless report of it - or, conversely, to let others make some of the arrangements but nevertheless write a report packed with every last conceivably-useful detail (in which you would, apparently, have no interest).

Last edited:
Well known Hampshire/World birders Keith Betton and John Clark are there on a five day clean-up with Abdou Lo at the moment - Keith has just posted a photo of White-crested Tiger Heron on Facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back