• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info needed: Roatan Island, Honduras (1 Viewer)

dennis

Have binoculars. Will travel.
Hello all,

In March my wife and I will be on a western Caribbean cruise. One day will be spent on Roatan Island. Can't seem to locate any trip reports for this island. Does anyone have any insight into where to go and what I might see there?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

dennis said:
Thanks Roy'N. That's the best information I've found.

Dennis
Hi Dennis
I can't add much more information than I put on my webpage for the Bay islands, but if you need any specific information just send me a private message. There is some good birding on Roatan, but a short trip across to the mainland will get you you a whole bag of goodies. The plane across to the mainland takes about half an hour or so and lands in La Ceiba, which lies right beside the fabulous reserve of Pico Bonito. This is well worth contemplating if it is going to be a birding trip. If it is primarily a diving or beach trip, you will get most of the good birds on Roatan (Yucatan Vireo probably being the most important bird) not far from the main towns and resorts. the diving is excellent on Roatan and pretty cheap as well.
The island has still not been birded very thoroughly, or at least people have not written much about it. So if you find any interesting migrants please let me know, or send it directly to David Anderson who keeps records for Honduras and sends the best records for publication in North American birds. His website (http://www.birdinghonduras.com/) also has some information about Roatan.
The very best of luck with the trip.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I will only be there a few hours, so the mainland trip is a no go. I will contact you if a question arises and post my findings upon my return.

You have a very helpful website...GOOD JOB!

Thanks
Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back