• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

info on Hairy Dragonfly sites nr Oban (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi All,

I am thinking about a trip to go and see Marsh Frittilary and Chequered Skipper near Oban on the Scottish West coast this coming weekend, does anybody know a good area for Hairy Dragonfly in this area also?

Much appreciated.

Calum

As nobody came forward with any reliable sites it was down to me to go anyway and see what was about.

I went to the Black Lochs near Oban and had a great time:t:

Species seen were

Beautiful Demoiselle
Large Red Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
Hairy Dragonfly (very brief views of one male)
Downy Emerald (very common with literally dozens seen)
Four-spotted Chaser (very common, much the same numbers as Downy Em)
Highland Darter (one, very fresh looking female perched)

At one spot (see attached photo) we sat for lunch and were treated to at least 100+ Emeralds and Chasers on view at the same time, a fantastic sight:t:

Attachments

• Black Lochs, Oban.jpg
    Black Lochs, Oban.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70
I went to the Black Lochs near Oban and had a great time:t:

Species seen were

Beautiful Demoiselle
Large Red Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
Hairy Dragonfly (very brief views of one male)
Downy Emerald (very common with literally dozens seen)
Four-spotted Chaser (very common, much the same numbers as Downy Em)
Highland Darter (one, very fresh looking female perched)

At one spot (see attached photo) we sat for lunch and were treated to at least 100+ Emeralds and Chasers on view at the same time, a fantastic sight:t:

Sounds pretty impressive Calum - I have never seen Downy Emerald in big numbers. Interesting you saw a Highland Darter so early in the season.
The only omission from your list that I would have perhaps expected id Keeled Skimmer; though perhaps you would have been just at the start of the flight period that far north.

Regards
B

Sounds pretty impressive Calum - I have never seen Downy Emerald in big numbers. Interesting you saw a Highland Darter so early in the season.
The only omission from your list that I would have perhaps expected id Keeled Skimmer; though perhaps you would have been just at the start of the flight period that far north.

Regards
B

I think Keeled Skimmer are a bit later in the season, although I don't have any reliable sites for these, PM me please if anybody has any sites for this species in Scotland
Variable Damselfly was the major dip, if we are not counting those blasted Chequered Skippers!!
We looked at a lot of Damselfly around the Loch without success, unfortunately one small lochan that we knew to be good for this species was out of reach on the other side of the Loch.
But as we know that that Loch ain't going far, we will try again.;)

In many summers of visiting Scotland for drags I never saw Keeled Skimmer on the west coast.

Few too have never seen so many emeralds in one go. Your visit must have coincided with a major emergence.

Highland Darter is early, but they get earlier and earlier each year! I've not been up for a few years so out of touch with how early some species are now emerging up there.

Chequered Skipper, I've only ever seen them around the very end of May and first few days of June. Despite what others say, I've always failed to see them after the first week in June.

In many summers of visiting Scotland for drags I never saw Keeled Skimmer on the west coast.

Few too have never seen so many emeralds in one go. Your visit must have coincided with a major emergence.

Highland Darter is early, but they get earlier and earlier each year! I've not been up for a few years so out of touch with how early some species are now emerging up there.

Chequered Skipper, I've only ever seen them around the very end of May and first few days of June. Despite what others say, I've always failed to see them after the first week in June.

Keeled Skimmer is one of the of Scottish Dragonflies that I would love to see, so I might have to try a few times I guess, but as the scenery is stunning it should be no hardship. I saw the similar Black-tailed Skimmer a couple of years back at St Abb's, and they buzzed around like they were on speed!! Fantastic beast's.

I think it is quite early for Highland Darter, we had a male darter species early on in the walk that couldn't be found again. This had us hoping it might be Red Veined Darter due to the date, but I guess it was just a Highland.

As for Chequered Skipps, what a pain as this is the 3rd time I have dipped them, although the previous times were in late June, so perhaps no surprise there:-O

The Emeralds were amazing, with some great views had. It was literally 50/50 with 4 Spot Chasers.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back