• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting find (1 Viewer)

SandhillCrane02

Call me Neil!
United States
So, yesterday I was walking back from class when I heard a bird I was unfamiliar with- I couldn't seem to locate the bird itself but I found a nest in the tree above where I was standing that the noise was coming from, so my working theory is that the nest belonged to the bird (It was really high up though, so I wouldn't have been able to verify)

I recorded some of the song (here), but unfortunately due to the location right next to the road and it being quite a windy day, it wasn't the best audio.

Anyway, I came here to post because it was significant that I'm fairly certain it's a House Finch. It was the only suggestion Merlin came up with, and it seems to match pretty exactly. Thing is, I've actually never seen or heard one in Central FL. The only time I've seen one before was during my trip to Montana last year, so it was a pretty unique experience to hear one here. Merlin says it's "uncommon" in my area, but I don't know if I've ever seen one before. I'll certainly be keeping an eye (and ear) out in the future in case I come across either that same one around campus or anywhere else.

Ahh, birding round the campus is what I've been up to as well. Have you tried running the recording through BirdNET, too? There are quite a few sightings of House Finches in Central Florida on the range map even in 2023, so fingers crossed.

Ahh, birding round the campus is what I've been up to as well. Have you tried running the recording through BirdNET, too? There are quite a few sightings of House Finches in Central Florida on the range map even in 2023, so fingers crossed.
I hadn't before now, but it turned up the same result! I'm fairly confident this is what it is, I suppose I'll be keeping an eye and ear out from now on for finches around here! I guess you really do learn something every day

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back