• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting warbler (1 Viewer)

Hi All

A first for me, so in my excitement please go steady on reactions to this record-shot ... showing the bird deliberately hiding behind the proverbial small branch. Well, it was windy this morning ... it was only a digibinned shot ... and, er, I can't think of any other excuses ! Trying to be more serious though, I had read up on various key features of this species, before setting out.

"Rather heavy, thickset and pot-bellied ... quite long, broad bill ... round-headed, sometimes peaked ... flushed yellow around throat and neck sides ... plus that voice !"

So ... small branch aside, I thought this photo did at least show most of those key features quite well. Now then, where's that tin hat !

Cheers
Andy Russell

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 69
Good bird, Chris Packham wouldn't put that pic on his board with that twig! You won't get an easier, more confiding and identifiable bird abroad Andy so it's good the West Mids county has come up with something to put it on the map albeit on the Green side and not the Black Country bit.....

Laurie:t:

Good bird, Chris Packham wouldn't put that pic on his board with that twig! You won't get an easier, more confiding and identifiable bird abroad Andy so it's good the West Mids county has come up with something to put it on the map albeit on the Green side and not the Black Country bit.....

Laurie:t:

Agree with all of that Laurie, except in my book we're all in the Midlands round here ... and for the time being, so is that stunner !
Andy

It showed well this afternoon (although these pics doesn't really do it justice) and sang almost non-stop. Great song, too.

Where have you been? Your sense of humour has been missed around here!

Hi All

A first for me,
Cheers
Andy Russell

Congrats on your first, great bird for the Midlands. Here's one of my efforts from last week.

Attachments

• Melody.jpg
    Melody.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 58
Where have you been? Your sense of humour has been missed around here!

Congrats on your first, great bird for the Midlands. Here's one of my efforts from last week.

Now that's really rubbing it in, Dave, with your cracker of a photo !
Well done that man.

Finally caught up with the bird today - still singing and showing on & off at 6pm.

Must be one of the longest staying Melodious Warblers of recent years - will try to dig out some data later.

[QUOTE Phil Andrewa)

Last year's bird at Retford, Notts was present for 12 days; hope this one can repeat the trick![/QUOTE]

Phil, any odds for a full 4 weeks. How long was it there before being recorded?!

Whenever I leave a visit for more than 5 days they have normally gone

Richard

The bird has been present 22 days upto today 3/7/15 the chances are it was found on it's 1st full day with the bird only occasionally singing & keeping very low on the 11th June........ Bird still performing well yesterday but it appears that a few people have got over excited & have gone over the fence with at least 2 trails upto the gorse & it's favourite tree |:(| Just need to be patient I've now been over 20 times & has shown very well & close many times without the need to go over the fence......... 3 images taken over the last week or so.........

Attachments

• _M1Z6731_1_filtered.jpg
    _M1Z6731_1_filtered.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Melody-1_filtered.jpg
    Melody-1_filtered.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 41
  • _M1Z5663_filtered.jpg
    _M1Z5663_filtered.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 41
After 29 days the Melodious Warbler wasn't observed today. It's was by far the longest staying singing Spring bird of recent years in Britain.

After 29 days the Melodious Warbler wasn't observed today. It's was by far the longest staying singing Spring bird of recent years in Britain.

Melodious Warbler back again this morning (31st day) :t: Will get round to posting those long-staying stats sometime this weekend

Melodious Warbler back again this morning (31st day) :t: Will get round to posting those long-staying stats sometime this weekend

Phil not sure this is genuine last confirmed sightings are Thurs night reported twice yesterday but from what i'm being told bird wasn't seen but heard calling (Not Singing) I've spent several hrs each day since Fri afternoon on site & nothing.....

Phil not sure this is genuine last confirmed sightings are Thurs night reported twice yesterday but from what i'm being told bird wasn't seen but heard calling (Not Singing) I've spent several hrs each day since Fri afternoon on site & nothing.....

Hi Dave - you mention on Twitter that it may have been photographed on Saturday?

Hi Dave - you mention on Twitter that it may have been photographed on Saturday?

Hi Phil 1st msg i got was that it had only been heard calling but not seen then i got a txt to say that the bird had been photographed? I've not seen the photographs but did spend probably 5-6 hrs on site from Fri afternoon till Sun & others were on site inbetween for many hrs with no sight or sound!! Just seems very unusual that the bird would suddenly stop singing/showing or defending it's territory

all the best

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back