• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC splits and lumps - no techno babble (1 Viewer)

Split Glissando Babbler Pellorneum saturatum and Leaflitter Babbler Pellorneum poliogene from Short-tailed Babbler (now Mourning Babbler) Pellorneum malaccense based on pronounced vocal and genetic differences (Garg et al. 2021; Eaton et al. 2021).

Pellorneum macropterum Bornean Swamp Babbler is split from P. rostratum Malayan Swamp Babbler (formerly White-chested Babbler) based on vocal and genetic differences (Cros et al. 2020; Eaton et al. 2021).

Last edited:
Dec 23 Links to IOC 14.1 Life List+, Master List, Full Subspecies, and Comparison with other Lists downloaded to Master Lists page..

One up for me at last instead of losing out, just going through my list on Scythebill, nowhere near the end yet and I've lost more than ten species.

Mar 4 Post proposed split of Western Yellow-billed Barbet from (Eastern) Yellow-billed Barbet.

Mar 3 Post proposed split of Taczanowski's Brushfinch from Slaty Brushfinch.

Mar 3 Post proposed split of Maranon Sparrow from Black-capped Sparrow.

Mar 3 Post split of Northern Chestnut-breasted Wren from (Southern) Chestnut-breasted Wren.

Mar 2 Post split of Eastern Goldfinch from European Goldfinch.

Mar 2 Accept split of Qilian Bluetail from Red-flanked Bluetail.

Mar 2 Accept split of Taiwan Bush Robin from White-browed Bush Robin.

These are posted and discussed on the main IOC updates thread
Which was hijacked and inundated with deep, nomenclatural stuff which means nothing to most of us and despite my numerous, polite requests to start their own thread for such things, it continued. My requests were ignored so I started this thread as an alternative, I had assumed you knew because we had an open conversation about it when I thought it had been moved.

Opening this thread was intended to condense what most ordinary birders want, without the other stuff, what is your issue?

I don't see hounding, just suggested it could be better to have discussion about these splits in a single thread.
Not sure how to understand "you'll get what you want" 🙂

Mar 7 Post split of Olive-capped Coua from Red-capped Coua
Mar 7 Post split of Gorgeous Sunbird from Beautiful Sunbird

The sunbird will be an extra tick for me.

Mar 19 Post split of Angola Greenbul from White-throated Greenbul.

Mar 9 Post splits of Manus Brush Cuckoo and Solomons Brush Cuckoo from (Australian) Brush Cuckoo.

Mar 9 Post split of Sulawesi Brush Cuckoo from Sunda Brush Cuckoo (formerly Rusty-breasted Cuckoo).

Split Red-throated Rock Martin Ptyonoprogne rufigula ADD AS Pale Crag Martin

Red-throated Rock Martin Ptyonoprogne rufigula (including bansoensis) is split from (Large) Rock Martin P. fuligula based on morphology supported by phylogenomic analysis (Brown 2019; del Hoyo & Collar 2016; HBW/BLI).

Split Red-throated Rock Martin Ptyonoprogne rufigula ADD AS Pale Crag Martin

Red-throated Rock Martin Ptyonoprogne rufigula (including bansoensis) is split from (Large) Rock Martin P. fuligula based on morphology supported by phylogenomic analysis (Brown 2019; del Hoyo & Collar 2016; HBW/BLI).

And now a decision to split Southern Nutcracker from Spotted Nutcracker.

IOC (presumably through WGAC) seems to be on a run of adopting Birdlife splits.

Mike

Mar 14 Post split of Sierra Madre Crow from Samar (formerly Small) Crow.

Mar 14 Post split of Sulawesi Crow from Slender-billed Crow.

I'm up one again with this and we had the split in the Philippines, forecast as long ago as 2003 by the inimitable Tim Fisher.

Last edited:
That was quick, only proposed on the 4th.

Mar 15 Accept split of Western Yellow-billed Barbet from (Eastern) Yellow-billed Barbet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back