• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPad capability help (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Thinking of getting one mostly for birding apps, internet access while traveling, and as an eBook reader. (Already have an Android Phone, but larger size has obvious advantages). A variety of questions. Feel free to just respond to one or two of these.

--Is it easy to connect it to a windows desktop and exchange files without using a wireless connection? E.g. could I scan something to PDF and save it on my desktop, transfer it to the iPad, and then read it on the iPad? Also, could apps be downloaded this way?

--Recommendations as to 16, 32, or 64GB model?

--Do all iPhone apps also work on iPads (though not taking advantage of the larger screen of course)?

--Has anyone tried to submit eBird checklists using the iPad?

--Since there is no flash support, I assume you can't see eBird maps.

--Easy to attach a camera to view recently taken photos (or use a card reader)?

--Is 250MB AT&T 3G plan adequate for ordinary internet access? (I don't like wifi because what you get while travelling is typically not secure).

Jim

Last edited:
Thinking of getting one mostly for birding apps, internet access while traveling, and as an eBook reader. (Already have an Android Phone, but larger size has obvious advantages). A variety of questions. Feel free to just respond to one or two of these.

--Is it easy to connect it to a windows desktop and exchange files without using a wireless connection? E.g. could I scan something to PDF and save it on my desktop, transfer it to the iPad, and then read it on the iPad? Also, could apps be downloaded this way?

--Do all iPhone apps also work on iPads (though not taking advantage of the larger screen of course)?

--Is 250MB AT&T 3G plan adequate for ordinary internet access? (I don't like wifi because what you get while travelling is typically not secure).

Jim

I have an iPhone, not an iPad. I have iBird Explorer Pro and BirdTunes on my phone. I may get Sibley's but don't really need it. BirdTunes is my favorite, a lot of my NA birding is by ear.

Some apps work on the iPad. Sibley's, iBird Explorer, and Peterson's have versions that do. How well they work I have no idea.
Birdtunes also works on the Ipad.

250MB...depends on how much surfing and file downloading you do on the 3G. If you just check a few websites each day its probably ok. But if you do a lot of surfing for shopping, news etc forget it. And some apps are well over 250MB, download those over your home wifi.

All PDFs can be stored and read in iBooks it works very well, I have my camera manuals stored on my iphone

Not easy exactly, but possible.. unlike Android devices, the iPad doesn't expose it's storage like an external drive when plugged into a PC/Mac

Always get the biggest capacity you can afford as you can't expand the storage like you can on most Android devices.

Not sure on this one..

again, can't comment on the iPad, but on Android WP & UK Birding Checklist has the functionality built in along with Identification pictures / Calls / Migration maps and text based information.

Sorry, can't comment, but it would stand to reason..

No, unlike most Android Devices, there isn't any external memory card to put into a card reader. You can get one of the eye-fi cards that have an app for both iOS and Android that puts your images directly onto a device but they have their own set of problems.

I use about 450mb / month with basic Facebook, Twitter and web browsing on my phone... As long as you always use an SSL connection (you can use free SSL proxies for exactly this purpose) you connection would be 99.9% secure on wifi.

Stuart.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Don't appear to be many iPad users on this forum. I had considered an android tablet, but as Bill notes a number of key N. Am. birding apps are still not available for android devices even though they've been out for a while, e.g. birdseye, the sibley guide.

Think I'll just have to mull whether I would use an iPad enough to justify the expense. Would be nice if there were an easy way to convert a book to electronic format to use on a tablet. Would be great to carry a bird reference library on a trip without the weight!

Jim

With iTunes, this is possible
For some apps and documents, 16 will be enough. But more is usefull if you use it for videos, photo storage
Yes,
Apple makes a Camera Connection Kit (30 dollar)

The easy conversion from paper books to an electronic format would be nice. Digital pictures of plates work fine, but it's a lot of work...

hi, I have the 16gb non wifi. It's the cheapest model. I use a dongle supplied by 3G. It can be packed anywhere on your person. I can load photographs, using an adaptor that's available. The adaptor comes as a pair. One is used direct for SD cards and then plugged into the iPad. The other is used with the cable that comes with the camera. both my 50d and the 7d work fine. I have also loaded the manual for the 7D onto the pad, using ITunes, and I have the Mitchell breazley bird ID that comes up as pictures and song. I do get frustrated with the IPad. But no more than the iMac or mac book. I believe with me it's an age thing, being the wrong side of 60. I really wish a system was commonly available in a voice recognition format. Regards. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back