• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it safe to bird Nepal? (1 Viewer)

Hi all

This is my first time on this forum having only just discovered what an amazing resource it is, so many contributors! so many enthused, like minded people!

My wife and I are about to embark on a mega trip to India and would very much like to revisit Nepal after having had an incredible time there 10 years ago (Jomson Trek), however we are worried about the current Maoist rebel situation. Most of the travellers websites etc seem to suggest the treks are OK although we should be prepared to encounter rebels and perhaps be asked to give a donation to their cause (getting a receipt in return!). This doesn't seem to be too much of an issue but does anyone have any experience of how they might react to birders with bins, scopes etc? Don't want to be mistaken as the army or spies!!

Thanks for anyone's help.

Hi midgleybirder and welcome from all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sorry I'm unable to answer your questions, but there's bound to be someone who knows

D

I was there two years ago and still there were many tourists doing the treks, as well as at Chitwan, etc (though relatively speaking, numbers were much lower than in previous years). The only way the civil conflict had any impact on my trip was the numerous checkpoints on all roads ...if on a bus, everyone - except women and the single Westerner (me!) - had to get off and go through a search. That said, the soldiers were friendly, as was everyone else in the country. The situation with the Maoist uprising has improved since then and a ceasefire is holding, so I would imagine it is perfectly safe to travel there. If somebody were to buy me a ticket, I'd be there tomorrow.

Lo midgleybirder!
I would imagine it's fairly safe now. Just keep your wits about you. Hope you enjoy it!

midgleybirder said:
Hi all

This is my first time on this forum having only just discovered what an amazing resource it is, so many contributors! so many enthused, like minded people!

My wife and I are about to embark on a mega trip to India and would very much like to revisit Nepal after having had an incredible time there 10 years ago (Jomson Trek), however we are worried about the current Maoist rebel situation. Most of the travellers websites etc seem to suggest the treks are OK although we should be prepared to encounter rebels and perhaps be asked to give a donation to their cause (getting a receipt in return!). This doesn't seem to be too much of an issue but does anyone have any experience of how they might react to birders with bins, scopes etc? Don't want to be mistaken as the army or spies!!

Thanks for anyone's help.
Check out the foreign office site for upto date info.

POP

POP said:
Check out the foreign office site for upto date info.

POP

maybe not too safe at the moment

from
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200610021759.htm
National
Security tightened in UP airport
Varanasi, Oct. 2 (PTI): Security at the airport here has been tightened in the wake of Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba's alleged plans to hijack a Nepal-bound aircraft, a senior CISF official said today.

The Central Industrial Security Force manning the Lal Bahadur Shastri airport has been put on maximum alert and the quick reaction team deployed to deal with any emergency, CISF Commandant, Rohitashva Kumar, said here.

Similar security measures have also been taken at New Delhi and Kolkata airports from where flights for the Himalyan country originated in the wake of the intelligence inputs about LeT's plan to hijack Nepal-bound aircraft, he said.

Multi-layered security arrangements have been put in place at the airport here with the CISF personnel manning all sensitive points round-the-clock, he said.

"The passengers travelling by the Indian Airlines and Cosmic Airways flights to Nepal and those returning by these carriers are being put through extensive checking," he said.

The travel documents, including passports, of the passengers and their luggage were being put through strict scrutiny at the airport, the CISF commandant said.

The security officials were also carrying out extensive searches in the outer zone of the airport, including the parking place and the entry of the armed security guards of dignitaries have been banned inside the terminal, Kumar said.

Kumar claimed that LeT has recruited three Pakistani nationals for the task and managed for them citizenship and passports of Nepal through their networks so as "to enable them to escape the dragnet of our security and intelligence agencies while travelling between the two countries."

ColD said:
maybe not too safe at the moment

Varanasi, Oct. 2 (PTI): Security at the airport here has been tightened in the wake of Pakistan-based terrorist outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba's alleged plans to hijack a Nepal-bound aircraft, ....

That makes it as safe as a visit to the United States or, for that matter, anywhere else.

The Foreign Office recommends simply avoiding demonstrations, etc, should you encounter them in Kathmandu, but adds be aware that 'a threat of terrorism exists', but concludes the greatest potential risk in Nepal remains trekking accidents and reminds all to have insurance to cover such.

(On a minor point, though the fco website does provide a lot of detailed background information, it should also be remembered it is a not a non-political website and in my experience there is a certain slant towards putting greater emphasis on threats which pertain to certain countries and less on others.)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back