• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a psychological joy to owning alphas? (1 Viewer)

mgp13

Australia
I strongly suspect I know the answer to this but can anyone else opine on whether there is a psychological joy, security or satisfaction to owning the very best alphas? The main reason I'm considering getting the very best is I always feel like something is missing with my near-alphas. I feel overly aware that they're not the best binoculars available, and as a result I'm incompletely satisfied with them. I want those feelings to be gone. I just want to know I have the best, that even if my binoculars are imperfect they couldn't be any better, and that no one is getting thrills I'm missing out on.

Yes. But otoh, once you take that plunge, two things will happen: 1) you’ll have moments of doubt (directly proportional to time spent on optics forums) where you’ll wonder if you selected the wrong one, and 2) you’ll be stressed when a new, better, alpha is rumored or made avail on market.

I just want to know I have the best, that even if my binoculars are imperfect they couldn't be any better, and that no one is getting thrills I'm missing out on.
that's exactly how it is...
2) you’ll be stressed when a new, better, alpha is rumored or made avail on market.
....what is the “best” today will be the “best” of yesterday tomorrow.

Andreas

Hello MGP13,

In about 2006, I bought a Zeiss 8x32FL, an excellent binocular. I did not succumb to buying a replacement until May of this year. Amortizing the cost, I compute the FL was less than 20¢ per day. Should I and the replacement binocular last seventeen years, the cost would be 42¢ per day.
There is nothing wrong with buying, using and enjoying an alpha. Like many things the incremental costs of improvements are steep. Just do not go running after the newest even every five or ten years.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I strongly suspect I know the answer to this but can anyone else opine on whether there is a psychological joy, security or satisfaction to owning the very best alphas?

Hmm, my thoughts are wandering somewhat; yes, psychologically owning the latest premium thing will give you the feelings you describe.

However there is also joy, perhaps even more so, in having something very rare & unusual, or something that was an excellent bargain, or that has been personalised & customised.

For example I find immense pleasure owning and using a small & light Opticron 6x32.
It cost only 200 quid.
Fitted with eye shields, it now moulds to my face so can be easily used one handed.

I think I get a bit of collectors joy when using a mint zeiss 7x42FL that has been less than a handful of times outside the house.
Wouldn't sell it for less than a couple of thousand, that's how nice it feels and its value to me as a rare condition classic.

What the current premium binocular ought to be giving you is the satisfaction of knowing you are getting your best view, or your best haptics.
Or if you're very lucky, both.

I strongly suspect I know the answer to this but can anyone else opine on whether there is a psychological joy, security or satisfaction to owning the very best alphas?
For some, maybe

The main reason I'm considering getting the very best is I always feel like something is missing with my near-alphas. I feel overly aware that they're not the best binoculars available, and as a result I'm incompletely satisfied with them.
That's you. I have 3 alphas (NL Pure & SF) but I use mainly the Zeiss SFL which are not "the very best".
I'm gonna start selling the alphas (well, most of them) and I will not miss them.

I want those feelings to be gone.
Learn to enjoy what you have instead of always wanting more or better. You'll be happier.

Hmmm, maybe only if you're focused on the wrong thing. The best product for you should be the one that works best for you and while understandable to want the best that can be had, it's actually an illusion and more people would be so much happier if they'd admit a bit of pragmatic reality into their lives.

Strive for the best, then enjoy what works.

Absolutely brilliant deconstruction of the psyche of certain Birdforum members! 😸

whether there is a psychological joy, security or satisfaction to owning the very best alphas?

Oh hell yeah - for some folks (but not all)...

The main reason I'm considering getting the very best is I always feel like something is missing with my near-alphas. I feel overly aware that they're not the best binoculars available, and as a result I'm incompletely satisfied with them. I want those feelings to be gone. I just want to know I have the best, that even if my binoculars are imperfect they couldn't be any better, and that no one is getting thrills I'm missing out on.

Brilliant deconstruction of the psyche of certain Birdforum members, like I was saying... But in all seriousness, assuming you can afford the SF or whatever you want, go for it. Peace of mind is something you can't put a price on (well - I suppose you can!).

I absolutely do see what you're saying though, as in my own birding I know there's a certain level of optical performance I need for demanding tasks. I've learned through experience that anything below that will cost me opportunities. With what I call my "no excuses" binoculars, I know that if I miss something, it's down to me and not the equipment. But not all situations demand that kind of performance. There are still times when the targets I'm after are closer in, when I don't mind taking off my glasses to put binoculars to my eyes (or have enough time to do so), when it's warm enough that the eye lenses won't fog. Then I choose my binoculars based on how enjoyable they are to use, and - speaking only for myself - yes, there is indeed a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment when using a classic 1950s/60s 8x30 porro that has a field of view only recently surpassed by modern binoculars, so light you hardly know it's there, and is beautifully made. But to get to that stage you have to know your birding and your optics well enough to know which suits what.

------------------------

PS. was reading your posts asking about 8x40 SFL vs 8x42 SF and thought I'd bundle my thoughts here. Just my opinion here, but I think the two binoculars have slightly different niches - the SFL smaller, lighter, for users whom those qualities are important (when travelling, etc) or simply prefer a smaller binocular. The SF on the other hand is Zeiss's stab at offering maximum performance (wide field of view etc) which translates into a larger unit than the SFL - wide field of view means large prisms. When looking through them the thing that stands out immediately, I think, is the SF's wider field of view. The more subtle improvements you have to look hard to see (or at least I have to). The SFL seemed a little more pleasing than the Conquest HD (which I thought was already an excellent binocular). Colour rendition is very alpha-like. I suppose the SF image is a little more pleasing yet, but at that level it gets hard to tell - it would be really interesting to do the resolution and aberration tests etc so beloved of folks like Henry to see just how close they are. But the wide FOV is immediately obvious, useful, and impressive.

PPS. if I needed an alpha 10x42 and my local optics shop was flogging a new SF for £1400, I'd be on it like a Cornish seagull on a unwary tourist...

Last edited:
I bought them. 8x42.
Well that was quick. I was about to ask but see from the other thread that this was specifically SFL vs SF... I hope you'll be able to remain satisfied with your SF for a good long time, because yes, that is a very nice feeling.

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant deconstruction of the psyche of certain Birdforum members! 😸

Oh hell yeah - for some folks (but not all)...

Brilliant deconstruction of the psyche of certain Birdforum members, like I was saying... But in all seriousness, assuming you can afford the SF or whatever you want, go for it. Peace of mind is something you can't put a price on (well - I suppose you can!).

I absolutely do see what you're saying though, as in my own birding I know there's a certain level of optical performance I need for demanding tasks. I've learned through experience that anything below that will cost me opportunities. With what I call my "no excuses" binoculars, I know that if I miss something, it's down to me and not the equipment. But not all situations demand that kind of performance. There are still times when the targets I'm after are closer in, when I don't mind taking off my glasses to put binoculars to my eyes (or have enough time to do so), when it's warm enough that the eye lenses won't fog. Then I choose my binoculars based on how enjoyable they are to use, and - speaking only for myself - yes, there is indeed a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment when using a classic 1950s/60s 8x30 porro that has a field of view only recently surpassed by modern binoculars, so light you hardly know it's there, and is beautifully made. But to get to that stage you have to know your birding and your optics well enough to know which suits what.

------------------------

PS. was reading your posts asking about 8x40 SFL vs 8x42 SF and thought I'd bundle my thoughts here. Just my opinion here, but I think the two binoculars have slightly different niches - the SFL smaller, lighter, for users whom those qualities are important (when travelling, etc) or simply prefer a smaller binocular. The SF on the other hand is Zeiss's stab at offering maximum performance (wide field of view etc) which translates into a larger unit than the SFL - wide field of view means large prisms. When looking through them the thing that stands out immediately, I think, is the SF's wider field of view. The more subtle improvements you have to look hard to see (or at least I have to). The SFL seemed a little more pleasing than the Conquest HD (which I thought was already an excellent binocular). Colour rendition is very alpha-like. I suppose the SF image is a little more pleasing yet, but at that level it gets hard to tell - it would be really interesting to do the resolution and aberration tests etc so beloved of folks like Henry to see just how close they are. But the wide FOV is immediately obvious, useful, and impressive.

PPS. if I needed an alpha 10x42 and my local optics shop was flogging a new SF for £1400, I'd be on it like a Cornish seagull on a unwary tourist...
What a great response. And very helpful too. I'll report back on the Vic SFs when they arrive in a couple of days.

For some, maybe

That's you. I have 3 alphas (NL Pure & SF) but I use mainly the Zeiss SFL which are not "the very best".
I'm gonna start selling the alphas (well, most of them) and I will not miss them.

Learn to enjoy what you have instead of always wanting more or better. You'll be happier.
Wanting more and better and getting it is another joy in life. Wanting more and better can be a motivator in ones career. It certainly changed my life.

I had the Zeiss SF 8x42

I now bird with the Opticron Aurora 8x42.

The SF was nice. But had a fatal flaw.

The Aurora brings me great joy and I'm like a child in an all you can eat sweetshop with them.

My point is: If your binocular brings you immense joys of ownership and use, you have found your perfect bin.

I rarely stop by here any longer. Once I got my 8x42 HTs, I realized I would never need anything more. The optical debates here are beyond a bit crazy and too many brands have too many issues. I had a terrible experience with a couple Leica alphas a year or so ago and couldn't get them packed up for return quickly enough. Then, I had a chance to see Swaro's new alpha in a local archery shop. I realized that the HT was, for me, as good as it's going to get with my now, nearly 73 year old eyes. I enjoy the hell out of them and their younger smaller middling 8x32 Conquest HDs and no longer want for yet something else. There is a pleasure in owning nice things (I have a few Rolex and Omega wristwatches, drive a classic Land Cruiser, have some lovely cameras, etc.). But the best pleasure is good health and fitness, financial security, and no debt. That means far more than trinkets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back