• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this an owl? (1 Viewer)

zazybear

Was paddling on the Rideau River in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on July 02, 2023, caught this image and then enlarged and enhanced it with gamma & contrast. Wow, I seemed to have caught a huge owl quite early in the morning, almost 8 am! This was a monster comparing to most other birds that I' d normally came across in this area such as red wing, or even heron. It let me take one shot any then flew away. My first time ever since paddling on this river a few years ago. Please confirm for me, anyone? Thanks a lot. Is my life coming to a crossroads, I'm not superstitious, but....?

P1400857 (Copy).jpgP1400857a.jpg

Hi zazybear and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Most North American owls spend the daylight hours tucked against a tree trunk, trying to be invisible. This one may have been dislodged by other birds (most birds who discover an owl will chase it away, since it's a threat to them and their young) and hiding temporarily in the willow.
Or it may still have been hunting. This time of year in Ontario, an owl who only hunts in the dark is severely limiting its hours.

Is my life coming to a crossroads, I'm not superstitious, but....?
Yes, you are.

Most North American owls spend the daylight hours tucked against a tree trunk, trying to be invisible. This one may have been dislodged by other birds (most birds who discover an owl will chase it away, since it's a threat to them and their young) and hiding temporarily in the willow.
Or it may still have been hunting. This time of year in Ontario, an owl who only hunts in the dark is severely limiting its hours.

Yes, you are.
Thank you very much for your reply and insight.

A very beautiful owl and a great find! I think it might bring you some luck in your future outdoor endeavours. ;)

The birding-gods calling you to embrace your (not-so-) new hobby? If so, you'd better follow their advice... :)
Thanks. I followed the birding-call and on July 04, in the same area, caught images of what looked like a green heron. So exciting! Forgive my poor eyesight, but it seemed to have a strange way of grapping onto the branch it was resting on: one claw hooking up and the other hooking down?!!!

P1410029 (Copy).jpgP1410031 (Copy).jpg

My eyes and brain's interpretation of the photo was that the right claw wraps upwards (uncommon) while the left claw wraps downwards on the branch (that's the normal/most common way seen). Might be an illusion on my part? OMG, I'm seeing things!

Herons have three toes pointing forward, one backward. I think both feet are facing forward normally. You really can't tell which toe is which in these photos.

...and birds can't rotate their legs.

This section of this post has, unfortunately, been duplicated in a separate post, and it has also been answered there:
Post in thread 'This looked like a green heron, please confirm, thanks.' This looked like a green heron, please confirm, thanks.
Hi Butty, please show me how how to delete duplicated posts or remove the duplicating sections. Thanks. I need step by step instructions. I'm not very technically savvy. Very much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back