• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this possibly a snowy owl ? (2 Viewers)

Thanks Paul,

I was going only by shape and proportions of the bird which fits a Raven (or a larger Falcon or a Gull) best imo. So I thought (and still think) that the video might well turn this into a (n identifiable) Raven. I know that albino Ravens are very rare, but exist (havent seen one yet) and considering Alisons impression of an owl I thougt a pale/whitish (Gyr/hybrid) Falcon would also worth considering.

So a white bird was always in my mind, but somehow I skipped this in my comment. Sorry and thanks to all!

Alexander is a man of great knowledge, but personally - yes, you may ask why I don't just wait for the video to be uploaded but ah, then that wouldn't be as much fun would it - from my own edited images from the available screenshots, I'm seeing a Barn Owl.

And, from the bit of digital distortion I have highlighted, that looks like a possible large head turned as it searches for prey.

Attachments

• possible owl.jpg
    possible owl.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 75
The video is available - just click the "download" button on the iCloud page.

Unfortunately the bird is very small and distant. It's flying low and might be following the wall but I can't tell how far past the wall it is... it might just be crossing the field. It does a sudden J-turn before landing, which seems slightly odd for a gull, but on the other hand I have the impression of dark wingtips???

The video shows an unambiguous black-headed gull to me - pointed wingtips, flight action, plumage and behaviour all seem fine. Certainly lacks the front-heavy appearance and characteristic flight of a barn owl throughout.
Agreed- definitely, also you can sort of the see the typical greyish tone to the wings and back at certain points in the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back