• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It makes me despair (1 Viewer)

Which bit? The fact that bears aren't choosy, or the fact it was shot?

I must confess I'm unsure about the principles of hunting. In an ideal world I'd be anti, but it seems to me that we would have lost an awful lot of habitat and species were it not "protected" by the hunting lobby. What is needed is a degree of compromise, a sustainable harvest if you like.

As to what bears get up to, well I guess that's up to them!

I think this might say something about the survival of two species. Habitat for both is getting less, so why not up your chances of surviving in either environment (extremes for the polar or grizzly) by mating.

It is disheartening that this interesting find was destroyed before any other scientific data could be gained.

No problem with the behaviour of the bears, it's the hunter paying $45000 for a license to shoot Polar Beers, what kind of mind has he got? I despair that there are people like that and I despair that the indigenous people have to go along with it to get a decent income, and I also despair at being told that the only way we can preserve the environment is by allowing hunters their fix of killing things.

Mick

Hi Mick

I completely understand what you are saying, but life sucks, and there's no depths some people won't plumb, they just don't think like you and I.

The best maxim I've ever seen goes along the lines of "Lord, give me the strength to change what I can change, the courage to accept what I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference".

Thought for the day? Would you rather be despatched by a clean shot, or die a slow death through starvation?

Personally, I would never be a hunter (unless I had to kill to survive), but I accept that even if I devoted my life to it, I would never be able to persuade all hunters that what they were doing was wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back