• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Italy Field Guide (1 Viewer)

Wan2caTanager

Hello everyone!
My family is talking about going to Rome in April! :bounce: So, of course, I immediately start checking into Italian birds, field guides, etc. Right now I am looking into getting a field guide, but I'm a little lost on what to buy. I've heard a lot of you mention Collins. Does that cover Italy or is it only for Great Brittan? Also for all of you who own it: is it like Sibley's where it is impossible to carry in the field? I always like to carry my guide with me. |=)|

Oh also, does anyone know of a site in English that has some places to bird in Rome? Or know of any nice spots off hand? I've been trying to translate a site from Italian, but it's coming rather slowly. ;) I'm talking Italian in school now, so hopefully I'll be a bit better by the time we go. |:$|
Thanks all!

Hi Mandy

The Collins Bird Guide covers all Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. It's the best one for this region and perfect for Rome as well. Be sure to buy the paperback edition:

Collins Bird Guide

Greetings from Switzerland
André

The Collins is great for here, I am never without it. Another good book for bird sites is A birdwatcher's guide to Italy by Luciano Ruggieri, Igor Festari.
My local patch(Even though it takes me an hour to get there) is the Maccarese Ponds which is more or less at the end of rome airport. It has some old fishing pools surrounded by farmland. I never come away disappointed.

Try this site http://www.ebnitalia.it/ though mostly in Italian it has some English and some very good links.

And if you want something Roman to do try looking though the key hole on the Aventine hill, nothing to do with birding but one of the best sites in Rome.

Have fun
Mark

Thanks everyone! It's now a little uncertain weather we will be going or not, but if we do, Collins will most definitely be coming with me. Even if we don't go, I'm thinking of getting it anyway, just so that I can become more familiar with European birds. |=)|
Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back