• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jo'burg-SA-Suikerbosrand one day trip (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I have planned a really intense Karoo birding trip , solo travelling, this september.
I'm from Spain, and this will be my second time in South africa.
My first was in february in KNP, more than two crazy weeks with furious rains and the amazing birding challenge of my first South african trip, with migrants and breeders enjoing rains and adventures.
Now , I'll be with lesser time but bigger distances and may be the diversity Will be lower, but the endemics, and also the pelagics make me feel like making true a -birding- dream.
Last day I have more than ten hours in jo'burg and my idea is explore Suikerbosrand, but to me, these last day Will be better shared with an experienced local birder.
I could rent a car, and we could meet in the reserve, or if you want you can take me in your car, and of course I'll pay your expensas etc..
My goals are the specials there-melodius lark, OR francolin,...- and also if you know where is possible tospot spot grass owl , It gonna makes me really Happy.
Thankyou (the day is 14th september, 8'30 am to 8'30 pm).

Hi,
I have planned a really intense Karoo birding trip , solo travelling, this september.
I'm from Spain, and this will be my second time in South africa.
My first was in february in KNP, more than two crazy weeks with furious rains and the amazing birding challenge of my first South african trip, with migrants and breeders enjoing rains and adventures.
Now , I'll be with lesser time but bigger distances and may be the diversity Will be lower, but the endemics, and also the pelagics make me feel like making true a -birding- dream.
Last day I have more than ten hours in jo'burg and my idea is explore Suikerbosrand, but to me, these last day Will be better shared with an experienced local birder.
I could rent a car, and we could meet in the reserve, or if you want you can take me in your car, and of course I'll pay your expensas etc..
My goals are the specials there-melodius lark, OR francolin,...- and also if you know where is possible tospot spot grass owl , It gonna makes me really Happy.
Thankyou (the day is 14th september, 8'30 am to 8'30 pm).
Only some indirect help. I too did my first SA trip last year - solo and a very big route (Cape Town/West Coast/Karoo/Bushmanland/Kaglagadi/Kimberley/Mokala/Springfontein/Garden Route/Aghullas); 2nd one in October. It may be worth using Birdingpal. I had some success. Maybe only 1 in 5 people respond but those who do tend to be super helpful and I think there's a good concentration of them around Joburg. On your targets although nowhere near Joburg I did see all 3 of those. I don't know your route but would be happy to share where I saw them if they happen to match your route. Grass Owl is likely to be very difficult. Happy to share general perceptions of stuff like driving too if you want to pm me.

Hey Dennis,
thanks for your quick and precise answer.
I tried two messages in birdingpals, but no success till now. May be I'll need try more.
Also is really interesting your offer, but today is not early, but tomorrow I'll be sharing my timing, goals and stages to use your recent experience, and your generous offer sharing info and tips.
My journey is like yours, but shorter (nor Khalaghadi, Mokala or Kimberly are included in my plans).
I'll be in Augrabies, Tankwa Karoo, Karoo NP, WCNP, Willderness an de hoop, in some of then making camping.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back