• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's mammals 2007 (4 Viewers)

With an unexpected break in the bad weather I headed over to Moor Green again yesterday evening.

On the way I was lucky to see a couple of winter-coated Fallow Deer in a riding stables field just outside Fleet - a good record locally. I saw one Rabbit on the walk in - what a comedown from the summer when 30-50 would have been usual.

Therre was a strong west wind driving the scent away from the hide and I had to wait 30 mins for Wood Mouse action: the first Brown Rat didn't turn up for over an hour, which was good.

I got some slightly better Wood Mouse pix and also record shots of a Bank Vole - the seventh species of rodent from the hide in the last two weeks! (The list for new readers is Grey Squirrel, Bank Vole, Field Vole, Wood Mouse,Yellow-necked Mouse, Harvest Mouse, Brown Rat). Still no return visit from the Harvest Mouse, but sooner or later it will pop up and my lens will be waiting.

It started raining just after 1900 at which point I quit.

John

Now we are into December thoughts turn to reviews of the year and suchlike. I should like to first of all re-review Richie Moores' book which I have made quite a bit of use of since getting a copy.

It covers most of the places you would expect it to and a lot that I was unaware of but have found useful. It has gaps but what guide of this kind hasn't? I still think it needs reading with a cynical eye because with his enthusiasm for the subject Richie has sometimes given too optimistic an impression of an observer's chances of connecting, but its certainly a work to have on the shelf - no, in the car - if you are going to seek out Britain's mammals.

That said here are my top five British mammal sites that are not in the book. No doubt you guys will be able to nominate more. As usual they are in no particular order, they represent instead places for particular problem species.

1. Pulborough Brooks RSPB. For me, a great place to look for Stoats due to the massive Rabbit population and open, short-grazed fields. Others have had great views of Weasels and I have heard Water Shrew mentioned as showing well during the summer floods. A permanent herd of Fallow Deer, mostly of the dark morph, is good value. The usual foxes can be met waltzing about in broad daylight and along the hedges and wooded banks Bank Voles and Wood Mice are frequent. Evidence of Moles is widespread but seeing them is another matter.

2. Fishpond Woods off the A635 between the A1 and Barnsley, SE485070 (directions earlier in this thread). Awesome potential for watching Water Shrews, also Bank Voles, Grey Squirrels, occasional views of Water Voles. Bonus Willow Tits. I honestly believe this to be the best place in Britain to see Water Shrew. 6/7 visits this year and sustained views tend to confirm it.

3. Black Rock NR, Cheddar. Entry at the top of the gorge. Requires NVA and bat detector: Hazel Dormouse, Badger, Weasel, according to website Lesser Horseshoe Bats hunt in the woodland, though I didn't detect any on a single visit this year.

4. Noar Hill NR, just outside Selborne, Hampshire. Field Voles run in the open over short turf in summer (can be seen and even photographed with patience) and can be tracked through thicker growth by rustling and squeaking. One actually ran up onto my thigh when I was sitting down looking for them this summer. Also Common Shrews and in copses, other small rodents. Roe Deer, Rabbits and Grey Squirrels of course.

5. Gilfach NR, just north of Rhayader. Weasel resident in stone wall by reserve centre where it hunts Wood Mice and Common Shrews. Badger, Otter, Polecat resident though very difficult to catch up with (sustained effort over more than one day/night required I suspect). Usual array of Welsh raptors but looking both up and down at once is difficult.

John

PS: Top organised trip this year PTES Savernake Forest bats in September: Common Pip, Barbastelle, Noctule, Natterer's, Daubenton's Bats in the hand, Serotine overhead, Hazel Dormouse in the hand, also Bank Vole seen.

Two visits to the Moor Green hide this weekend.

Friday good views of Bank Vole and Wood Mouse, for some reason the Brown Rats didn't turn up for over an hour after the bait went down. Pix of all three species.

Sunday back again with Clare, we had seven Fallow Deer just outside Fleet in fields attached to a riding stables. This is the second time in these fields in a week, perhaps I may be able to get pix of them locally if I get there earlier. Just Wood Mice and Brown Rats showing well from the hide.

John

John
This has been my favourite thread of the year - informative and entertaining on a subject I must confess to neglecting somewhat. I hope you'll perhaps keep the thread (if not the list) going into 2008. Any plans for twitching the bearded and humpback to take the year list into bold new territory?

John
This has been my favourite thread of the year - informative and entertaining on a subject I must confess to neglecting somewhat. I hope you'll perhaps keep the thread (if not the list) going into 2008. Any plans for twitching the bearded and humpback to take the year list into bold new territory?

I must agree. I have always been interested in seeing mammals (and also reptiles) in the wild and this developed into my birding.

While loads of information exists for finding birds, mammals seem some what neglected. This thread shows that with the right information, time, field-craft and lots of dedication the majority of UK mammals can be observed in the wild.

Sadly I think the Bearded Seal is a bit beyond the pocket at the moment (ideally I would combine it with a night at the Speyside Wildlife pine marten hide) but I am planning to take in the Humpback on Sunday if there's some reasonably recent news on it. I've seen 2 in UK - the Greenock beast and the one in the Firth of Forth by the bridges about 4-5 years ago - and a bunch in Monterey Bay with Marion, but she "needs" (her version is she doesn't need anything) it for her British list and it would be a cracking year-tick to finish on.

Thank you for the appreciation and I certainly intend to carry on or start a new 2008 thread. I have promised Marion I won't be listing next year but that doesn't mean I can't go out!

John

Couple more goes at the hide at Moor Green, plus a new tactic last night: mostly Wood Mice and Brown Rats but last night I spent more time in the open (it was very cold!) and saw several Yellow-necks under the hedgerows. However, baiting the brambles failed to attract anything. A fox at the edge of the IR torch's range was the only other mammal of any note.

John

John, have you encountered any albinism in the rats you see? I had a pure albino 'brown' rat under the railway viaduct at Hayle the other night. Cant rule out an escapee. But was in the company of other brown, brown rats.

John, have you encountered any albinism in the rats you see? I had a pure albino 'brown' rat under the railway viaduct at Hayle the other night. Cant rule out an escapee. But was in the company of other brown, brown rats.

I haven't so far, but I suppose there is heavy selection pressure against it when it appears. The only local albino I am aware of is a white Red Fox that attends a colleague's garden occasionally.

Next time I am at Hayle I will look out for your one. Find us a Great Blue Heron and I'll be straight down.

John

Last day at work this year, so no update till 2008. I've been down to Moor Green a couple more times but just Brown Rats and Wood Mice at the hide.

Merry Christmas everybody and good wildlife watching in the New Year.

Dear Santa,

Please could you bring me:

1. A Polecat that not only shows but stands still for photography

2. A Lanceolated Warbler on the UK mainland that stays long enough for me to get there

3. A Red Kite over my house to make the 100th bird on the house list

4. Patience........

Cheers all

John

A few stats to finish off with then:

53 species seen this year. (Marion saw 37 of them.)

42 photographed.

3 New British ticks: Common Vole, Whiskered Bat, Leisler's Bat.

15700 miles in the car. NB these are birding/mammaling miles: they exclude any perambulations inside a 10 mile radius of my house and any journeys where birding/mammaling was not the purpose, e.g. if I drive to Marion's parents place in Cumbria for a planned visit that doesn't count but any trips I do while there do. On the other hand it includes bird twitches and birding days where no mammals were involved.

John

John,

I really enjoyed this thread and very well done with your impressive tally I managed 40 for the record.

Mark

40 is an excellent score. The first time I set out to concentrate on mammals I only got 28! It has been a fun year and I hope this one will offer some highlights as well.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back