• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Scottish Highlands trip to see Scottish Crossbill Advice (1 Viewer)

Nimravid

United States
Hey everyone,

I will be doing a hiking and general biking trip with a friend from June 1-8th this summer (Inverness -> Durness -> Wick -> Inverness). I have June 1-2 by myself before he meets me in Inverness and I was going to do some birdwatching since he is not much of a birder.

I specifically would like to pursue the Scottish Crossbill as it is an endemic species. I was thinking of taking a train from Inverness on the 1st to Findhorn bay area/Culbin Forest. Could someone give advice on if I will be in the right area and time to spot the crossbill?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

- Chris

If you want to see what might be Scottish Crossbills you stand the best chance in the forests around Grantown-on-Spey and Abernethy.

There is no Scottish Crossbill, the original work is debunked, the call work is debunked, the bill size work is debunked. Enjoy the real Highland wildlife, it's amazing.

John

If you just want to study Crossbills I would say the cross tracks at Boat of Garten Woods are an excellent spot, but by June it might be really tough.

There is no Scottish Crossbill, the original work is debunked, the call work is debunked, the bill size work is debunked. Enjoy the real Highland wildlife, it's amazing.

John
We know your position, but ornithologists clearly disagree since the species is still listed in all major bird taxonomies. It may be lumped someday in the future (but maybe not), but for now there IS a Scottish Crossbill.

Also, in what way are crossbills not "real highland wildlife"? Let people enjoy what animals they want to enjoy and don't try to troll users who just wanted useful info.

We know your position, but ornithologists clearly disagree since the species is still listed in all major bird taxonomies. It may be lumped someday in the future (but maybe not), but for now there IS a Scottish Crossbill.

Also, in what way are crossbills not "real highland wildlife"? Let people enjoy what animals they want to enjoy and don't try to troll users who just wanted useful info.
The Scottish Birds article makes it clear there is currently no way to identify Scottish Crossbill in the field. Accordingly any search for it is going to be based on an old false premise, and a failure. Crossbills are part of British but not particularly Highland wildlife and if time is limited in the Highlands there is no point wasting it looking for something available in the New Forest and across Britain. This is not trolling, it is useful information.

John

Thank you all for the replies and info. This discussion lead me to research a little more about the history of the Scottish crossbill.

@Steve Lister & @wolfbirder, I'll keep that area in mind. The Cairngorms area seems like it would need an entire trip of its own to spend time in, but I could take a bus in and explore.

@Farnboro John, I appreciate the comment about clear identification in the field and won't spend my time only looking for the crossbill as there is plenty on my list to see!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back