• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just getting started... a few questions (Raleigh, NC, USA) *long!* (1 Viewer)

sirwired

I gave my wife a birdfeeder for x-mas this year, and while she enjoys it well enough, I've become completely hooked. I have it hanging off the back deck, about 9' off the ground, 5' off the deck. There are a couple Hydgrageas nearby. Nearby is a birdbath, which I have now dumped, hosed off, and refilled for the first time in a long while. (It's skimmed with ice first thing in the AM, but melts pretty soon.) I'm in a low-density suburb with plenty of mixed-forest outside my approx. 1/5 ac lawn, but little forest undergrowth.

The feeder is the mid-size WBU-branded, Brome Squirrelproof Feeder. (The squirrel-proof-ness seems to work pretty well, the squirrels just kind of sit on the deck railing and stare at it. I've seen one climb the shepherd's hook I have it hanging from, but it just looked at the feeder and climbed back down. This feeder is very highly rated on Amazon.) It has four small-ish perches protruding from the spring-loaded squirrel-protection cage.

Note to self: Don't buy more birdfeeders from WBU; they are a bit overpriced (almost double) vs. the identical feeder from Amazon. I don't mind paying the premium once in return for their advice, but continuing to pay that premium could get expensive...

The feeder has been loaded with a local WBU-branded mix, the ingredient list shows mostly BOSS, along with some striped sunflower, safflower, shelled peanuts, sunflower chips, dried berries, and I think a trace of cracked corn. (Heck, if the sunflower hulls didn't bother me, it'd make a half-way decent trail mix!) I don't remember seeing any millet, and certainly no milo.

In the 1 1/2 weeks or so it's been up, it's attracted several Tufted Titmice and Carolina Chickadees. I see several Cardinals around the yard, but they won't use the feeder; I suspect it's too small. They do, however, eat the spillage, as does a Junco or two. (It's hard to watch the ground-feeding birds as the angle from the window makes it tough.) I saw a woodpecker in the trees, and a blue jay fly by, but I think it was just a coincidence.

I've had to refill the feeder only once, and it still had plenty left.

My questions:
- I don't remember how much that special seed blend cost me, but I have a funny feeling it wasn't cheap; especially seeing as how I can buy BOSS for less than $1 a pound. What would be a good BOSS-based homemade mix that won't break the bank? Cost isn't a huge consideration now, but it could be in the future... should I just try 100% BOSS?
- I'd like to attract more variety. While the two species that use the feeder are cute, I'd like to attract more... do I give it a couple more weeks before even worrying about it?
- If (ok... when) I put up another feeder, what would be the best choice for feeder # 2? Suet? A hopper feeder to attract Cardinals? While a lot of places say that a platform feeder attracts the most birds, I'm not sure I have time for the daily maintenance...
- The idea of a bunch of goldfinches is attractive to me... should I wait to see at least a couple on the tube feeder before setting up a finch feeder?
- Should each feeder get it's own pole (and squirrel baffle, so I don't have to buy 100% squirrel-proofed feeders), or is hanging 3 or 4 from a single pole ok?
- Ground cover? My backyard has no shrubbery except for the previously-mentioned hydrangeas next to the deck. Will birds not even touch a hanging feeder surrounded by nothing but lawn, and the nearest branches a good 15-ft or so away?
- When cleaning a feeder, do you throw away the food that was remaining, or only do that if there are problems with mold or moisture? (Throwing it away every time seems a bit wasteful...)

Sorry about all the rambling and many questions, but I'm just so excited and enjoying watching the birds.

Last edited:
Hello sirwild and welcome to the wonderful world of wild birds and feeding them. I can't answer all of your questions but wanted to bump this up so it would be visible again. I live in Arizona, and am sure the birds I get out here are much different - in many ways, than what you have in your yard.
If you have Jays they really like unshelled peanuts, and my woodpeckers love suet. So that might be something to consider.
As your feeder is up for a longer period of time, you will find more birds attracted to it. There are regional specific bird seed you can get for the birds in your area. I've never heard of Boss so can't help with that.
I have a sunflower feeder, a regular mixed seed feeder, a suet feeder, and a niger feeder all from the same pole, branched out by hooks. If you want Goldfinches you probably need a niger feeder of some sort, either a sock type or a metal type. Check out on line and you will see a number of different ones.
Hope this helps.
Oh, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators.

I have a sunflower feeder, a regular mixed seed feeder, a suet feeder, and a niger feeder all from the same pole, branched out by hooks. If you want Goldfinches you probably need a niger feeder of some sort, either a sock type or a metal type. Check out on line and you will see a number of different ones.
Hope this helps.
Oh, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators.

BOSS = Black Oil Sunflower Seed

What is your "regular mixed seed feeder"? A hopper or a tube?

I use 100% BOSS, everything eats it and no left over from picky eaters (although the hull is messy). I buy big bags from either walmart or Costco, about 50 cents per lb for the latter.

Cardinals seems to like big real estate, I have a hopper feeder and I made a catch tray for it, they never stand on the feeder itself, alway on the tray looking for spilled seeds, and reach up into the feeder if there isn't any.

For feeder cleaning I keep the seeds, but then again I use BOSS and they dry quickly and resistant to spoilage.

Glad to hear you are equally hooked! I became hooked about 4 months ago, and going strong. It's a great stress reliever for me to feed the birds and watch their antics. It also gets me out in the crisp dawn air, which is always a good thing. I would just say go slow and see what you like and don't like. I buy my stuff from WBU too, but mostly because I try to support local businesses... but yes, it gets costly. One thing I never regretted was sticking to sunflower hearts and "naturally nuts suet blocks" from WBU. No mess, no hulls. I keep it simple until I know what kind of mess my feeding is going to create, and how much I can manage. The longer I started feeding, the more I noticed other critters (rodents, squirrels, possums) showing up day and night, so now I take my feeders down every night, and put them back up on the days I don't work. Because of this, I avoid going full tilt- otherwise I would have 4-5 more feeders up if I could! One thing that gives me unconditional joy and low-maintenance are the 3 hummingbird feeders that I have around the perimeter of the house. The hummer feeders stay up day and night. So for now, I have 1-2 small suet feeders, one no-mess sunflower seed feeder that I use consistently, and the 3 hummer feeders.

For cleaning, I only put out enough for a few days as a rule. So when it's time to clean, it's usually empty too.[/QUOTE]

Sirwired,
Sorry haven't been around for a few days. I use a large tube feeder, again from WBU for my mixed seed.

As an update, things are picking up. In addition to the Tufted Titmice and Carolina Chickadees, the Cardinals are starting to occasionally pick at it, and I had a "flock" of 4 House Finches, a Downy woodpecker, and a couple I can't identify at the feeder this morning.

The feeding rate seems to be pretty slow still... the feeder only goes down by 1 1/2" or so per day.

And the squirrels still just sort of sit and stare at the feeder sadly (with maybe a short, desultory, climb up a few inches of the Shepherd's Hook) before climbing off the deck and eating some drops. I almost feel sorry for the poor tormented buggers... I have to say I am impressed so far with the feeder's squirrel-proof-ness.

Here's a bit of a funny story. I looked out the window into our backyard and there was a squirrel on the all in one bird feeder. This was because we put the feeder a bit too close to the porch. The irony of it was that it has two squirrel baffles on it. A photo would have been a hit. At any rate, I shooed the squirrel and moved the feeder.

I see several Cardinals around the yard, but they won't use the feeder; I suspect it's too small. They do, however, eat the spillage, as does a Junco or two. (It's hard to watch the ground-feeding birds as the angle from the window makes it tough.) I saw a woodpecker in the trees, and a blue jay fly by, but I think it was just a coincidence.

I've had to refill the feeder only once, and it still had plenty left.

My questions:

Sorry about all the rambling and many questions, but I'm just so excited and enjoying watching the birds.[/QUOTE]

Cardinals are touchy when it comes to feeders, esp new feeders. They can sit back and watch the feeder for weeks before they move in. Also it can be they prefer a platform or ground feeder over the feeders you have now. You other feeders may be to busy for them to come to and that is why they hit the ground or your feeders are in the wrong place now.

I don't remember how much that special seed blend cost me, but I have a funny feeling it wasn't cheap; especially seeing as how I can buy BOSS for less than $1 a pound. What would be a good BOSS-based homemade mix that won't break the bank? Cost isn't a huge consideration now, but it could be in the future... should I just try 100% BOSS?

WBU is way over priced in what they sell but they do have huge knowledge when it comes to selling the product. I would look around for independant places. Search the bird crap out of google with your city or zip using "bird supplies" "bird feeder" "farm supplies" "farm feed" "bird seed" to see what hidden places there are by you for food. Also look into websites that make the food (performence seed is my favorite, Kaytee, Stokes) and call them to see your nearest dealer other that WBU. Performence Seed sells a 40lb signature gold mix i can pick up from Menards at $20 on sale, best mix i ever seen in terms of quality and cost. Look at stores by you like the Menards around me, home depot local type stuff. There are different qualities of seed, even BOSS. So if one is really cheap then it may be a lower quality. Buy stainless steel trash cans and keep your food in there and buy in bulk to save but only buy what you can feed in three months.

- I'd like to attract more variety. While the two species that use the feeder are cute, I'd like to attract more... do I give it a couple more weeks before even worrying about it?

Lets see a few pictures of what you have now and your setup you have now first. There are many different types of feeders and some birds will only go to one type or some may prefer another over one type of feeder.

- If (ok... when) I put up another feeder, what would be the best choice for feeder # 2? Suet? A hopper feeder to attract Cardinals? While a lot of places say that a platform feeder attracts the most birds, I'm not sure I have time for the daily maintenance...

before you buy anything show us your setup now. The thing to me is you not wanting maintenance but your location is off your deck. To me that may not be the best location for the birds and esp for you unless you like bird poo and fallen seed and rodents on your deck.

- The idea of a bunch of goldfinches is attractive to me... should I wait to see at least a couple on the tube feeder before setting up a finch feeder?

i would wait for now and think more about your placement of the feeders and the birds you see now first.

- Should each feeder get it's own pole (and squirrel baffle, so I don't have to buy 100% squirrel-proofed feeders), or is hanging 3 or 4 from a single pole ok?

I use a mutli-feeder on one or two poles because i dont have the room. The main reason why you would want to space the feeders out a bit so the traffic is lighter for the birds. Cardinals usually wont go to a packed feeder with more aggressive birds on it. if you are worried about squirrels then just feed them also, you wont beat them in the end in a fight for being able to hit a feeder. do you have squirrels on your feeders now?

- Ground cover? My backyard has no shrubbery except for the previously-mentioned hydrangeas next to the deck. Will birds not even touch a hanging feeder surrounded by nothing but lawn, and the nearest branches a good 15-ft or so away?

Small planter shrubs work good a few feet away.. You don't want toomuch cover too close though, that is where a predator will hide and the birds know it. They like to have a place to perch close to the feeders like a lattice or branches.

When cleaning a feeder, do you throw away the food that was remaining, or only do that if there are problems with mold or moisture? (Throwing it away every time seems a bit wasteful...)

Only fill the feeders high enough to get thru a few days and once that is up make them go to the ground and eat the rest. You can buy a "seed hop" that catches the food and provides a great place for the birds to eat from...

Here is a video of my old setup from last summer of the seed hop in action

You're not rambling...you are loving the birds and that is awesome!!!!!!!!:t:

Well, things are very different since my last post. Things are turning out very successfully, and I've added a finch feeder, suet cage, and mealworm tray.

I have attracted the following species (that I've been able to identify):

In addition to the aforementioned Titmice and Chickadees, I have 3 pairs of Cardinals, a couple of Carolina Wrens, Downy and Red-Breasted Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, a Northern Flicker, rare visits by a pair of Eastern Bluebirds, a few House Finches, many American Goldfinches, and a HUGE number of Pine Siskins. I've also seen what I think is a Brown Thrasher eating suet. I of course have some Juncos, Doves, Squirrels, and Random Brown Birds I Can't Identify eating drops. (Finches are VERY messy eaters...)

The feed rate has picked up from 1 1/2" a day, to put it mildly. The mixed seed feeder (now on a WBU no-mess blend) goes anywhere from 2/3 to 100% empty, every single day. The finch feeder (an 8-perch unit from WBU/Aspects filled with Nyjer) is anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 empty, per day. I set out about 30 or so mealworms a day, and they are always gone by 11:00 or so. (They are just a treat... I don't think I could afford to feed as many as they'd like to eat.) The suet isn't as popular as I'd hoped... a cake a week, tops. (But no issues with Starlings, as of yet, so I really shouldn't complain.) The ground is more-or-less clean of mixed seed at the end of the day, and the Siskins don't seem to mind foraging for dropped Nyjer and helping eat the drops from that feeder.

I'll probably set up a hummingbird feeder just after the start of the month.

I'd get the hummer feeder up now as I've had them arrive here in Myrtle Beach as early as April 2nd ;)

I will echo and "Amen" KCFoggin's post concerning the hummer feeders. Now is a great time, in most parts of the country, to get your hummingbird feeders out. http://nestbirds1.com/hummingbirds-feeding/
Also, I might add that some people pull the feeders down because they think that this will hamper the hummers from migrating on time. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back