• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juv. Sparrowhawk (2 Viewers)

Hi Michael,
Thanks,and not only that,but it's true as well!;-)
Have actually heard of far rarer raptors being seen in suburban gardens in Ireland:there is an accepted record of Hobby on a porch of a house near Ballymun in Dublin city!One of those would be nice for the garden list...
Harry H

In my Collins it says that the Female Sparrowhawk "can be confused with the male Goshawk, as size is not always obvious."

And it goes on: "Female larger than male with slate-grey upperparts; barring below is brown-grey."

"Juvenile: Dark brown upperparts. Barring below often coarse, broken up and irregular on breast."

The picture of the juvenile shows streaking under the throat, turning to barring on the breast.

The female also has a yellow cere.

That's me taught a lesson then.
I wouldn't know a Goshawk if one landed on my head!

Attachments

• goshead.jpg
    goshead.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 152
There are some great color plates of juv sprawks in the Clark Guide to raptors That was my reference. Collins is downstairs. Did not look in their. I never gave it a thought.

Colin J.

I get the feeling your enjoying playing devils advocate :), but I too would say it's a spar. I've had a few rescued spars when I was younger, one for around five years, and I picked an injured one up last year, which I gave to a friend. I see it on a weekly basis (that makes me sound like a divorced dad seeing the kids!) - she can't be released as she has a damaged wing. I've also seen hundreds of both spars and gosses owned by falconers over the years (I'm not a falconer BTW, never have been, though I was brought up surrounded by falconers, so to speak - sorry Spar!). As Michael and Spud suggest, it's legs are too thin for a gos, and I always think gosses, even males, have a squarer looking head than a spar, though I don't think this is mentioned in any bird book I've read, so maybe it's just me!

Michael's right about the Starling, very difficult bird to catch. I've seen spars give up on them many times because they were simply being outflown. When I was a child many falconers believed that hawks wouldn't eat starlings! Falconers can be strange people at times . . .

Pity we can't see the starling to get some comparison in size.

If you can, try downloading the pic and put it into Photoshop, then sharpen it as much as poss. using Unsharpen mask. The picture is far clearer.

Finally, I wonder why falconers call Sparrowhawks 'spars' and birders call them 'sprawks'? Spar is a far nicer name for such an athletic, noble bird IMO. please don't tell me the nickname for a gos is a gawk!!

saluki

I don't know if Goshawk have a 'nickname', what I can tell you is that they have bloody sharp claws!

Well, nipped out to watch T3 and you've had a right old comment. The partner heard a squeal outside yesterday and saw the bird mantling it's prey so she rushed upstairs for the camera, the bird fed for a few minutes before a car drove down the road and disturbed it.
I though juv. sparrowhawk, but i'm still learning so though i'd double check with you guys.
The bird def. catching it's own prey, so has learnt quick if starlings are hard to catch, looks like it'll have a long and healthy life :)

They never turn up when i'm at home, always during the day when i'm working :-(

I can measure the stone behind the bird, if you were curious of the bird size.

"I sometimes call 'em Gosh-awks . . . just for fun

Oh, and also Sparro-whawks"

Michael

I'm sure you can imagine what I've called them when they've footed me :)

saluki

Great photograph! We regularly get sparrowhawks raiding the bird table! They seem to fly high over the houses until they see a likely prey & then swoop in over the fence and lawn.

My wife didn't believe me until she phoned me up and said there was a bird of prey eating a blue tit on the patio table (good table manners our Sparrowhawks).

Garden count so far ( over 4 years) is one bluetit, several juvenile blackbirds, one robin and at least two Collared Doves. We can always tell when they are around by the commotion the local Housemartins make.

Incidentally anyone else noticing a good year for raptors? Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and Buzzaerds all seem to have done well locally this year.:t: :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back