• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Night Heron - Lahad Datu, Sabah, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Steve Schoech

Supporter
I'm uncertain whether one can distinguish between the Rufous (Nankeen) and Black-crowned juveniles. Hope one of you can.

Attachments

• Night Heron sp. juvenile 01.jpg
    Night Heron sp. juvenile 01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Night Heron sp. juvenile 02.jpg
    Night Heron sp. juvenile 02.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Black crowned for me, nankeen are extremely well marked. Black crowned night herons (as shown in the above image) are marked to a much lesser extent.

Attached is an image of both a juvenile black crowned night heron and a nankeen night heron. As you can see the nankeen heron is marked to the extent that the brown is much less prominent compared that of juvenile black crowned night heron.

Black crowned night heron- ML121558711 Black-crowned Night-Heron Macaulay Library
Nankeen night heron- ML347029321 Nankeen Night-Heron Macaulay Library
Thanks! I looked at a lot of pics of both before posting and still was scratching my head a bit. Those two Lab-of-O photos make it clear. Mahalo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back