• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kahles and Swarovski (1 Viewer)

True confessions: so did I, for about two weeks back in the 1990s. There's something refreshing and liberating about skewering shibboleths... but in the end I decided it's better done by comedians. Unfortunately we have no real comedy anymore.

We knew an OP like that wasn't going anywhere useful, didn't we. Except Bill... I wonder what he keeps hoping for.
Yes yes , when he was roasting Bill Clinton on his TV show. Rest in peace Rush.

Last edited:
Bill
Evidently you don't remember the earlier thread where I said Leupold did make binos in the US at one time and we all went round and round. Despite all the press clippings announcing Leupold making binos, you disagreed. After I finally posted pictures of the very early Gold Rings that were stamped "made in USA" or "made in Oregon USA" you disappeared from the thread. And I never got my $50.

And Meopta having a plant that only made anti-reflective coatings is certainly not the truth. These Meopta Meopro's I bought in 2011 are clearly marked "Assembled in the USA". But what do I know since you seem to know better.

Tom

On the subject of Meopta, I will leave you to discuss the matter with Lee (the Moderator). He is the one who conducted the interview with the Meopta manager in Florida. Wherein those who were paying attention learned that the plant was only for developing AR coatings.

“Evidently” YOU don’t remember me having mentioned being in their Beverton facility more than once, having talked to my Leopold rep more than once about it, or having offered $50 to anyone who could prove me wrong. Days later, I had seen photos of women cleaning riflescope objective lenses. But, the facts of the matter insured me keeping my money. Were you reading too fast or thinking too slowly?

What do Winston Churchill, Jesus Christ, and Albert Einstein have in common? They could all be proven to be fools or liars if they happened to doubt anything said by a member of a binocular forum.

Finally, I will probably be charged with being harsh for this reply. But my intention was merely to dispel errors and protect myself from another speculator who believes things the see in print. Neither newspapers nor advertising can be trusted with the truth.

4. Binocollector, You said, “I don't think anyone ever thought they were made by Swaro however, as Bill seems to imply.”

Raise your hand if you have ever been a dealer who has witnessed any of the sales literature or who has frequently spoken face to face with a factory rep about misleading words and packaging.

Huh! I didn’t think so. Please don’t get me wrong. I am a huge fan of Swarovski!
What does being a dealer have to do with any of this? I know very well how misleading sales literature is. I am only talking about this and other forums where NOBODY ever claimed that any other Kahles bino apart from the Helia S was made by Swarowski.

Hm, I think Bill is going back on my ignore list. I won't miss much, apart from condescension, stupid quotes by people he probably has never read and self-indulgent ramblings.

What do Winston Churchill, Jesus Christ, and Albert Einstein have in common? They could all be proven to be fools or liars if they happened to doubt anything said by a member of a binocular forum.
Comparing yourself to Jesus now? Wow, one couldn't make this nonsense up. BTW -- YOU are a member of a binocular forum yourself. I still couldn't figure out why though.

Bill undoubtedly has a huge pool of knowledge about binos, their construction and how to repair them. Unfortunately his posts are too often exactly as you describe.

Lee

Lee, in order to be true to ME, I have 382 days left to be here. I will then leave everything to the ill-informed speculation crowd. My skin is pretty thick—it has to be—but it too can be worn down. Please see post 43. Was I mean, or just replacing error with fact.

On the subject of Meopta, I will leave you to discuss the matter with Lee (the Moderator). He is the one who conducted the interview with the Meopta manager in Florida. Wherein those who were paying attention learned that the plant was only for developing AR coatings.

“Evidently” YOU don’t remember me having mentioned being in their Beverton facility more than once, having talked to my Leopold rep more than once about it, or having offered $50 to anyone who could prove me wrong. Days later, I had seen photos of women cleaning riflescope objective lenses. But, the facts of the matter insured me keeping my money. Were you reading too fast or thinking too slowly?

You left out Abraham and Moses. I always enjoy when you share your incredible optical knowledge, I for one have learned a great deal for your posts.
Finally, I will probably be charged with being harsh for this reply. But my intention was merely to dispel errors and protect myself from another speculator who believes things the see in print. Neither newspapers nor advertising can be trusted with the truth.
Not harsh at all, I live in NY the only time the NY Times has anything right , is when they give yesterdays stock market numbers. They’re right once a day.

Hm, I think Bill is going back on my ignore list. I won't miss much, apart from condescension, stupid quotes by people he probably has never read and self-indulgent ramblings.

Comparing yourself to Jesus now? Wow, one couldn't make this nonsense up. BTW -- YOU are a member of a binocular forum yourself. I still couldn't figure out why though.

I WOULD NEVER compare myself to Christ!!!!! That was an assumption on your part! I was just making the point that on Bino forums spectualtions repeatedly take the place of realities..

What do Winston Churchill, Jesus Christ, and Albert Einstein have in common?
Hmm, not much really... They are not Bill Cook?

The more important question is, what do they have to do with binoculars? What can anyone have learned from anything you've posted in this thread? Except about you of course, as Beth pointed out. You're really just talking about yourself now, on and on and on...

Last edited:
I was alarmed by the level of "BS" presented by some contributors in this thread. But It seems normal. Just read old posts (2014, etc) and same debates, same attitudes, same roles, same dialogue of the deaf. Conclusion: nothing new. Boring.

You left out Abraham and Moses. I always enjoy when you share your incredible optical knowledge, I for one have learned a great deal for your posts.

Not harsh at all, I live in NY the only time the NY Times has anything right , is when they give yesterdays stock market numbers. They’re right once a day.

Hi Paul, I appreciated your kind comments. It is folks like you that keep me enduring what I must to be here. Right now, I am working on two books and trying to put a website together. Still, I make time to the 2-or 3% of the forum who want the Edward R. Morrow version of the truth about binoculars.

I once opened a large box from your city and wrapped around one of the 30 binoculars sent to me in Seattle for repair was a NY Times article extolling the fantastic “optical repair work” a certain NYC company was doing. I was pleased that my work in Seattle was responsible for building their reputation. But it seems the most powerful newspaper in the nation stopped short of revealing the whole story.

But then, “A lie can get half-way around the world, while the truth is getting its pants on.”

Lee, in order to be true to ME, I have 382 days left to be here. I will then leave everything to the ill-informed speculation crowd. My skin is pretty thick—it has to be—but it too can be worn down. Please see post 43. Was I mean, or just replacing error with fact.
Not sure what you mean by you only having 382 days left to be here. Nor do I see any useful revelations in Post 43.

Lee

Lee, it is especially harsh that you, too, would have turned on me. But, 382 days is what I have left to honor my 20-year commitment (I started with cloudy nights in 2004.)

The revelations might not be “useful” to you, but they illustrate that some people would rather believe sales literature and newspaper articles than the words of an honest man with firsthand knowledge of the situation.

As I begin to bow out, it is just important for you to know that I have been dedicated to raising the bar of optic/binocular understanding in a world in which too many seem not to care.

"In matters of style, swim with the crowd. In matters of PRINCIPLE, stand like a rock." — Thomas Jefferson

Bludgeoned, scarred, and misunderstood, I continue to stand.

And since so many have been willing to pounce on me, I think this would be a great time to start proving me wrong about so many things I have said about optics and binoculars. I think all might appreciate me having my throat cut before the whole forum. The downside ... they will need to have their facts straight ... I assure you, I will.

Those who are unwilling to take this challenge are just admitting they don't have the goods, but are just angry that I don't have the inefficient, pleasing, politically correct, dumbing down demeanor they have come to demand.

Love to all ... except when it circumvents THE TRUTH,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill, post 52,
You supplied us with a lot of useful information in, what we call in The Netherlands "bloemrijke bewoordingen". When reading your books and your comments in your own characteristic way: I learned a lot so do not be disappointed if people do not like it or do not take you seriously, it is not worth it.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in good health.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Paul, I appreciated your kind comments. It is folks like you that keep me enduring what I must to be here. Right now, I am working on two books and trying to put a website together. Still, I make time to the 2-or 3% of the forum who want the Edward R. Morrow version of the truth about binoculars.

I once opened a large box from your city and wrapped around one of the 30 binoculars sent to me in Seattle for repair was a NY Times article extolling the fantastic “optical repair work” a certain NYC company was doing. I was pleased that my work in Seattle was responsible for building their reputation. But it seems the most powerful newspaper in the nation stopped short of revealing the whole story.

But then, “A lie can get half-way around the world, while the truth is getting its pants on.”
That must’ve been a real long time ago when they were the most powerful newspaper in the nation, now they’re just a tabloid rag.

Bill,
Thank you for a lot of valuable information in your own characteristic way, in what call in Dutch "bloemrijke bewoordingen". I liked your comments and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in good health.
Gijs van Ginkel

Lee, it is especially harsh that you, too, would have turned on me. But, 382 days is what I have left to honor my 20-year commitment (I started with cloudy nights in 2004.)

The revelations might not be “useful” to you, but they illustrate that some people would rather believe sales literature and newspaper articles than the words of an honest man with firsthand knowledge of the situation.

As I begin to bow out, it is just important for you to know that I have been dedicated to raising the bar of optic/binocular understanding in a world in which too many seem not to care.

"In matters of style, swim with the crowd. In matters of PRINCIPLE, stand like a rock." — Thomas Jefferson

Bludgeoned, scarred, and misunderstood, I continue to stand.

And since so many have been willing to pounce on me, I think this would be a great time to start proving me wrong about so many things I have said about optics and binoculars. I think all might appreciate me having my throat cut before the whole forum. The downside ... they will need to have their facts straight ... I assure you, I will.

Those who are unwilling to take this challenge are just admitting they don't have the goods, but are just angry that I don't have the inefficient, pleasing, politically correct, dumbing down demeanor they have come to demand.

Love to all ... except when it circumvents THE TRUTH,

Bill
Dear Bill
I have not turned on you at all and am in awe of your knowledge of repairing binoculars. But I have told you several times in the past that too often your posts aren't about binos at all but about you, and this thread is no different.

Lee

WOW, what a thread …. I was going to write something like „bloody hell“, but I am not sure the moderators would let me ….
Bloody hell, this is going on and on and on, the title of this thread is „Kahles and Swarovski“, where can I find some info on the subject, please?

About the only thing that was useful here, is that of explaining Swarovski and Kahles are all one company.
That was pointed out above. Beyond that the thread has an odor to it, a power play of some sort.
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back