• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kay optic a shop too avoid (1 Viewer)

[B]Kay Optical a Dealer that is highly recommended[/B]

JohnnyH said:
The only experience I have of Kay Optical was a couple of years ago when I was going to buy my first scope. I went to one of their field days at Pagham, & was disappointed at their lack of interest in helping me, semed more interested in chatting to each other in the visitor centre. Now if you want a real top notch Optics shop look no further than Cley Spy, superb customer service & good prices too.

John.

To set the record straight, I recently went to Kay's field day at Pagham & bought a Nikon ED82 to complement my ED50. I have to say that my experience of them this time was altogether different & much more impressive. Tony gave me excellent advice & plenty of time to compare different scopes before I decided on the Nikon, the price was better than any I could find on the net as well. He did not have a stay on case at the field day but promised that he would forward this on with no postage charge asap & this duly arrived a few days later. In summary, credit where credit is due & I would thoroughly recommend Kay Optical as a dealer along with Cley Spy & In-Focus also, I feel it is important to support small independant optical dealers as they more often than not offer the best service.

Cheers,

John.

BTW - Well chuffed with the ED82, a stunning scope with the 30x eyepiece!

Last edited:
JohnnyH said:
I feel it is important to support small independant optical dealers as they more often than not offer the best service.

Absolutely. We'd be stuffed without them (nowhere to try stuff out, nowhere to get decent advice, nowhere to take stuff back to if it goes wrong).

A few quid extra here and there is an absolute bargain for what a decent independent retailer provides. If something's cheap, there's usually a reason - in the case of most internet-only retailers, it's lack of service and facilities.

Many of the good retailers have been mentioned here already, but Focus Optics near Coventry needs adding to the list - helped me loads over the years and always worked hard to give me good value.

Kay Optical

I went in there in Saturday to buy my first pair of binoculars. 25 years ago my Old Man went there and bought some Zeizz Dialyt 7x42 and some Swarowski-Habicht porros. He came back home saying 'What a nice man - but what a pig-sty!'. I came back to my wife on Saturday saying the same thing. A wonderful selection of second-hand glasses: ELs, SLCs, old-school Leitz Trinovids, Zeiss 10x40 dialyts - you name it, he had it. Full range of new glasses too. Very helpful bloke. No up-selling. A good experience all round, and I emerged with an utterly mint pair of Zeiss 10x40. I'd recommend Kay Optical without reservation. (But wear old clothes!).

It's interesting to read other people's comments.
My current binoculars (Nikon 10x42 HGs), Leica Apo 77 scope and Manfrotto tripod were all bought from Kay's (as were another Leica scope, two Manfrotto tripods and another pair of Nikon 10x42 HG bins, bought by friends). In the past I've also recommended many people to go there for birding needs and spotting scopes.
However, I would never do so again.
In early spring last year I discovered a chip in the prism of my Leica scope so decided to take it in for repair. I also took in my binoculars to have the centre column tightened. Despite their website claiming to repair both makes 'in their own workshop' both items were sent to the manufacturers.
After several unanswered e-mails, phone calls and personal visits I eventually got my binoculars back last Autumn, only to later discover that the rubber armouring had been sliced through near the eyepiece.
Yet more unanswered e-mails and I am still waiting for my telescope to be returned!
More than nine months have elapsed so I am now seriously thinking about taking legal action to recover my property. I've even spoken to Leica direct and although they cannot pass on any detailed information (or have any influence as Kay's are not a main agent) they were able to tell me about three months ago that they have a repaired Leica in their workshops but cannot release it until they receive payment. It might be mine.
I hope that I'm the only one in this situation - but I seriously doubt it.
As for the premises, it's not just a pig-sty but a serious fire risk. You enter at your peril (in my opinion).

They're prices may be steep but for sheer approachability and customer service I think Infocus are right up there.

Jaff :bounce:

I will second that, I have had extensive dealings with In-Focus recently and can vouch for their extensive knowledge and helpful attitude.

Ordered a pair of Swaro's from Kay yesterday (Friday) morning after a pleasant and informative chat with the owner, this morning (Saturday) they promptly arrived at my door here in Edinburgh!

If that's not good service then I don't know what is!:t:

I've got a small order with Kay Optical pending. They took the cash immediately when I made the order last Monday evening (21st May). I've not heard anything from them. I emailed them yesterday but no reply today.

You're much better to ring. They don't seem to hot on e-mails, but fall over themselves to answer phone calls and personal callers.

Great shop and great service.

I rang today, a lady answered and apologised. She said Mr Kay has been ill of late and consequently they are a bit behind. She said she'd speak with him to find out about my order and ring me back. She didn't but I can understand why.

With the independents we have to accept they sometimes have limited human resources, but make up for it with experience. They are the only online place to stock the discontinued astro eyepiece adapter I'm after (apart from a hand-machined clone that would be 50% more expensive).
I spoke with Mr Kay and he's sending it out today.

I was recommended Kay Optical and getting on the waiting list for a pair of second hand Zeiss Dialyt 7x42s on holiday by another birder. Arriving back I duly did, and was told it could be a year. It wasn't, it was a six weeks, and I was moving house. Kay Optical took 30% deposit and two post dated cheques one and two months hence. I walked out of the shop with the bins, and my birding went to a new level.

Ten years later, I decided to swap them for the then new Victory 7x42s. I got virtually all my money back on the part-ex.

I have since bought a Televid 77 APO with the 22-60 zoom as new, a tripod and a tiny pair of second hand Swarovskis for my wife. They also did a nice repair for me on a cheaper pair of bins I had picked up in Canada.

The advice I have received has been excellent, and if the shop doesn't have the glamour of some of the bigger boys, then I also know I am not paying for it.

They are always my first (and invariably my last) point of call.

I was recommended Kay Optical and getting on the waiting list for a pair of second hand Zeiss Dialyt 7x42s on holiday by another birder. Arriving back I duly did, and was told it could be a year. It wasn't, it was a six weeks, and I was moving house. Kay Optical took 30% deposit and two post dated cheques one and two months hence. I walked out of the shop with the bins, and my birding went to a new level.

Ten years later, I decided to swap them for the then new Victory 7x42s. I got virtually all my money back on the part-ex.

I have since bought a Televid 77 APO with the 22-60 zoom as new, a tripod and a tiny pair of second hand Swarovskis for my wife. They also did a nice repair for me on a cheaper pair of bins I had picked up in Canada.

The advice I have received has been excellent, and if the shop doesn't have the glamour of some of the bigger boys, then I also know I am not paying for it.

They are always my first (and invariably my last) point of call.

Hello and welcome to Birdforum!!

Just to up-date from my February posting -- I'm still waiting for a response!

I've heard all the excuses that have been mentioned - and more besides. I've tried phoning, e-mail and taking time off work to go down there in person but I'm still waiting for news of my scope more than 1 year after I handed it over (expecting it to be repaired in-house, as stated on their website).

Martin

Just to up-date from my February posting -- I'm still waiting for a response!

I've heard all the excuses that have been mentioned - and more besides. I've tried phoning, e-mail and taking time off work to go down there in person but I'm still waiting for news of my scope more than 1 year after I handed it over (expecting it to be repaired in-house, as stated on their website).

Martin

That's just shocking, absolutely shocking. Surely you have some legal recourse?

I'm still waiting for my astro adapter. Twice I've been told it was posted. Maybe tomorrow it'll pop through the letterbox........

I have only used Kay Optical once, however I found their advice excellent (and very informative), delivery was quick and their price (on an Opticron SDL V2 eyepiece) was the best I could find (including China).
I will certainly consult them when I look for my next (spotting scope) purchase.

It's game over for me. They never had one in stock and they've found out that Swarovski have stopped producing them. They've taken my details to refund the money.
Not once did they contact me to let me know what was happening with the order.

I wish I'd have discovered this thread about Kay Optical before I placed an order with them a couple of days ago!

Answer phone message left with them and email sent both requesting an order status update... Not sure I'll get a response after reading some of the comments on here though?!

I sympathise with any small outfit that´s trying to stay in business these days, and especially if the owner is facing other difficulties like health problems. However, like Cousin ITT, I put in an order for a Swarovski astro-adapter some years ago, it was charged for (it appeared on Kay´s website), but no amount of phone-calls or emails could make it appear or get me a refund, or even get me a return phone-call. I eventually gave up. I feel a bit bad posting this, because there are obviously problems with the business, and I reckon the state/society should be supporting those who obviously have made sincere efforts to run successful bussinesses, but who through ill-health have been left short. However, the customer who puts in an order can´t be left out in the cold either.

I've been buying Telescopes, spotting scopes and dozens of binoculars from Kay optical for about 15 years.
Overall I'm 95% happy with the service and will continue to buy from them in the future.

As I understand there is only one member of staff, so delays will have to be expected. However Mr Kay will always offer some of the best deals to be had and try to beat any genuine price offered by other retailers.

Cheers Tim

I ordered a scope at the time Mr Kay was ill last year. I had to make a few phone calls before I found this out. His female colleague couldn't help as she didn't know the system. However I did get to speak to him after a few days and was told the scope I ordered wasn't in stock but due to my pending overseas holiday I was offered a slightly upmarket version of the one I ordered. Afterwards I found out that his prices were not that competitive and I had to wait till I got back from my holiday before getting the case.

Was not overly impressed as, at time, he seemed somewhat disinterested which is not the way an independant retailer progresses and gets recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back