• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping Bird Baths Clean (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone. I am curious if you have tips on how to keep the bird baths clean, without needing to scrub it every few days. I don't mind replacing water often, but I am trying to avoid needing to scrub clean so much. In the summer it's very easy to hose it down, but in the winter when my hose is off, it gets tougher to maintain.

I read online that a piece of copper can help keep algae away, but too much copper could be bad for the birds' health. I have a 2-inch piece of copper elbow piping I plan on trying next time I clean the bath, but I'm also curious if anyone has input on if that's a good size or too much. Thanks.

You might try using some Apple Cider Vinegar about 1 tsp to 1 gallon of water. The acid in the vinegar will help slow the algae growth with no adverse affects on the birds.

You might use a tray inside the feeder so you can remove the tray and disinfect it with a bleach solution. I use two ground water trays and the larger one is disinfected with bleach periodically and the smaller one used in its place during that 24 hour period. I use 3-4 ounces of bleach with 2 gallons of water.

Sunlight is needed to grow the algae and so I have more of a problem during the summer months than at this time of the year. Anything that shades the bird bath will minimize your maintenance efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back