• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water for birds in winter (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Frozen bird baths are always a problem in winter.

Birds need water in winter not only to drink but stay warm! Feathers need to be kept in good condition, clean and well arranged which birds do by bathing when necessary so need those birdbaths to be ice free - they preen themselves using oil from the preen gland, spreading this through their feathers which helps to maintain condition and feather arrangement therefore providing maximum insulation against rain and more importantly, cold weather.

So far, because temperatures have not dropped below -3 during the day, I have managed to keep the birdbath unfrozen by empting it every night and filling it up again in the morning (since it is at night when temperatures have plummeted) obviously in colder winters/climates that wont work. In very cold winters, I have found bird bath freeze-free (obviously NOT car anti-freeze) very useful upto about -5 to -7 https://www.arkwildlife.co.uk/produ...MI_IGjiNzk7gIVYIBQBh0Gqg1FEAQYASABEgLsMPD_BwE and floating ping pong balls. However, many a winter’s morning over the years, I have been standing in the garden in the early hours of the morning with a kettle of hot water!

How are other people keeping their birds watered?

Last edited:
Some good advice there Deb. Up here our two bird baths have only just resurfaced as they’ve been under 60cms of snow for weeks ( luckily there are plenty of streams close by so I admit they were installed more for our pleasure than as a necessity for our avian visitors)!

The problem i have is snow. The bird baths in my garden are under about 2ft of snow!
I dug them out and sat them on top of the snow, but they just sank under again.

The problem i have is snow. The bird baths in my garden are under about 2ft of snow!
I dug them out and sat them on top of the snow, but they just sank under again.
Is there any way of rigging up a hanging bird bath with perhaps a squirrel baffle over it to keep the snow off? Homework project for the weekend 😁

No snow problems here, but a lot of wind chill. I work 3 days a week and my wife alos works part time, but between us we can normally manage to keep topping up our bird baths and troughs. First thing in the morning I can be seen in my dressing gown pouring hot water into a tin on top of the ice- soon melts a hole ready for like warm water to top up the baths. I also have a useful mini crow bar for levering out the compacted ice. Daytime refills are less drastic. As I don't wear PJs. the 7am trips into -3 degrees in my dressing gone give me new respect for any kilt wearers out there!

The past few mornings I've been out πŸ₯Ά bright and early β˜€οΈ breaking the ice ❄️on our bird bath and refilling. πŸ›πŸšΏ As soon as it's sorted there's an almighty dash for it. πŸ¦πŸ€πŸ¦†πŸ§πŸžπŸ¦…πŸ¦‰πŸ¦œπŸ“πŸ¦ƒπŸ¦’πŸ¦©πŸΏοΈπŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨ Even the squirrel has a good gulp of fresh water. πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ₯›πŸ₯›πŸ₯›πŸ₯› :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back