• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

KeyHaven Marshes (1 Viewer)

jeff

I was thinking of going to KeyHaven Marshes this weekend, i've had a look on birdguides etc for sightings, does anyone know if there's much about at KeyHaven this time of year, any good websites with info?

TIA

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, only just seen this, (sometimes I think this site is just too big) I visit Keyhaven quite regularly but am far from an expert.

I can give you a list of some of the birds that I've seen recently, in no particular order.

Dunlin
Grey Plover
Black tailed godwit
Curlew
Golden Plover
Turnstone
Common Sandpiper
Little Egret
Great Egret (one, once)
Greenshank
Redshank
Brent geese

Several gull species, I'll let you sort them out, I'm still learning waders.

More birds inland, but I like seeing waders at the moment, Pennington of course is just down the road and Stanpit is always worth a visit.

http://www.chog.org.uk/Pages/Sightings.htm

Is a very well run site for info on Stanpit and Hengistbury, always up to date, and they see a lot more birds than I ever do, so there will almost certainly be more at Keyhaven than I've listed.

John,

Thanks for the reply and info, i'm fairly new at birding and find gulls a bit on the difficult side too, but if someone points one out to me, i'll have a look ;-)

Here's hoping the weather forecast is correct as it's supposed to be raining here in the midlands, but then again the rain follows me about (flashback to my trip to newfancy viewpoint for goshawks!!)

Cheers

Jeff

Local forecast is for showers and light rain with a W. wind of 10mph, normally the wind speed here is about double the forecast.

Hurst point - tides - 16.10.04

High tide Saturday is 11.14
Low tide Saturday is 17.25

Sunday, add about 45 mins.

forgot,

Herons
Ringed Plover
Oystercatchers
Teal
Shelduck
Mallard

(I really should start keeping records rather than relying on my ever worsening memory)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back