• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kites in La Seu, Spain (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I have just returned from a friends in Andorra and she works at a dog home in La Seu in Spain and its right next to a land fill site and I was totally blessed with the birds of prey there. At any one time I must have seen at least 50 / 60 buzzards, vultures, possibly and eagle and kites. Whilst the views around were spectacular, the stench from the land fill was awful so not exactly the nicest place for bird watching but worth persevering with the smell just for the spectacle of seeing all these birds. However, I am uncertain what the kites were. Being such a lover of Red Kites and from travelling to see them in Oxfordshire on so many occassions I would certainly recognise them but I just didn't notice any of the typical redness. I thought perhaps they were Black Kites but from having looked at pictures they are a lot darker than what I saw. They were definitely Kites because of the tail but I just didn't think they were Red.

Also, has anyone been to La Seu and seen these birds as I wondered if the vultures I saw were European or Griffin.

Thank you !

The Kites were most probably Black, their plumage can be quite variable. The Vultures were both!! European Griffon Vultures most likely, although you could get Egyptian, which are much smaller.

The Kites were most probably Black, their plumage can be quite variable. The Vultures were both!! European Griffon Vultures most likely, although you could get Egyptian, which are much smaller.

Thanks Jon. I just didn't feel they were Red Kites. They had the most distinct light (non-red) markings but sadly I could only get to see their underside. Thats great news about the vultures. To get to see all these huge striking birds at one time, in such huge numbers. Well I was in bird heaven !! As only bird lovers will know (my friend just doesn't get it...!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back