• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kookaburra in Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

TrevorKL

United Kingdom
Good afternoon to anyone who reads this message,
Can anyone tell me if there is any UK based bird that sounds like a kookaburra, because if not, then I had one hanging about my business premises yesterday afternoon and it either followed me to my home (about a mile away) or there's another one just visited me here this morning. As yet I've not been able to see it or either but I'm 70 years old and I've never heard a British bird sound like this before and the only bird I can think it sounds like is a kookaburra, although I have to say that I'm far from an expert on such matters.

Kind regards

Thanks for getting back to me but there is very little woodland here, just tall hedges and the odd tree, so not the kind of place I'd expect a Woodpecker to choose. Having said that, I wouldn't expect a kookaburra here either :LOL:

Just checked out the Green Woodpecker on the link you provided (very helpful) but it sonds nothing like the sound I heard. The sound I heard was deeper and more 'solid' that I'd expect from a much bigger or sturdy bird than a woodpecker or any other UK bird for that matter. Just hope it/they hang about long enough fo me to see it, so I can tell for sure what it/they is/are.

Thanks for getting back to me but there is very little woodland here, just tall hedges and the odd tree, so not the kind of place I'd expect a Woodpecker to choose. Having said that, I wouldn't expect a kookaburra here either :LOL:
Green woodpeckers are known to frequent fields etc to feed on ants. I’ve seen many in rural farms with no close by woodland just walking on paths or on the edges of fields looking for ants. Maybe try for jays or ring necked parakeets.

Edit: If you can somehow record the sound and post it on this thread that will be extremely useful- kookaburra’s are an Australian species, therefore if it was one then it’s almost certainly an escape. I really do doubt it’s a kookaburra though.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It would be very odd indeed if there were a kookaburra in Yorkshire (other than in a zoo or similar).

Hi Trevor and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. There are a few zoos in the UK with Kooikaburras on their lists but I think it's unlikely one has escaped. If Green Woodpecker has been knocked into touch, I think Richie's idea of Grey Heron is a possibility, they really can make some weird calls.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It would be very odd indeed if there were a kookaburra in Yorkshire (other than in a zoo or similar).
It was actually as a result of a Google search for birds that sound like kookaburras in the UK, that I found this forum, as somebody had made a post on here some years ago (think it was 2003 or 2013), making the same report as I've just done. He was also in Yorkshire and he not only heard it but actually saw the bird, whose existence was attributed to escaping from a wildlife park in the area but can't remember which one. I doubt they live 10 or 20 years (although I could be wrong), so either more have escaped or they must have managed to breed, if what I heard was actually a kookaburra, as is seeming to be the case, as no suggestion so far has even been close to what I heard.

Green woodpeckers are known to frequent fields etc to feed on ants. I’ve seen many in rural farms with no close by woodland just walking on paths or on the edges of fields looking for ants. Maybe try for jays or ring necked parakeets.

Edit: If you can somehow record the sound and post it on this thread that will be extremely useful- kookaburra’s are an Australian species, therefore if it was one then it’s almost certainly an escape. I really do doubt it’s a kookaburra though.
Thanks for the follow up and yes I'm aware it's an Australian species, which is why I asked for a UK national bird, as I couldn't imagine a kookaburra actually existing here in the UK. It definitely wasn't any of the parrot family, unless it was mimicking a kookaburra, which I guess could be possible but I've not seen or heard of any parakeets flying free in our area either. As for it being a Jay, once again the difference is chalk and cheese, so definitely not a Jay.

Kind regards
Trev

Thanks for the follow up and yes I'm aware it's an Australian species, which is why I asked for a UK national bird, as I couldn't imagine a kookaburra actually existing here in the UK. It definitely wasn't any of the parrot family, unless it was mimicking a kookaburra, which I guess could be possible but I've not seen or heard of any parakeets flying free in our area either. As for it being a Jay, once again the difference is chalk and cheese, so definitely not a Jay.

Kind regards
Trev
Are you sure the sound was certainly a kookaburra? It is sometimes difficult to accurately represent something when reflecting on sound and visuals.

Its for this reason that I'm not really a fan of identifications being done prior to the experience... unless you have a photograph or a sound recording.

Hi Trevor and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. There are a few zoos in the UK with Kooikaburras on their lists but I think it's unlikely one has escaped. If Green Woodpecker has been knocked into touch, I think Richie's idea of Grey Heron is a possibility, they really can make some weird calls.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for the warm welcome and I just hope that the bird is going to stay in the area long eough for me to lay my eyes on it or record it, as I'd hate to leave this as an open mystery.
Personally, I do think it must be an escapee kookaburra from a zoo, as I'm just minutes from the Yorkshire Wildlife Park, that I know for certain, do have a contingent of birds. I guess it might be worth contacting them, to see if they have had any escape recently.

Talking about escaped birds, has reminded me of an exceptional episode of my life, that I hope you'll find interesting.

I was once driving through a village in Malta and noticed a Snowy owl stood in the middle of a side road. Luckily it didn't move in the time it took me to stop and drive back to check that my eyes weren't deceiving me. Sure enough, to my astonishment, it was a Snowy owl and to try and prevent it getting hit by a car or shot, I attempted to catch it in an upturned cooler bag. Sounds impossible and insane for so many reasons I know but with regards to the insanity of trying to catch it in such a flimsy bag, it was either that or nothing, as that was all I had with me.

My first attempt failed, as it took flight just as I tried to bag it but to my even greater surprise and glee, it only flew about 20 meters or so round a corner and was once again sitting in the road, as I discovered it there. From the fact that it didn't fly very far and as it was seriously out of it's intended habitat and therefore comfort zone (plus it seemed to be out of breath), I concluded that it was very weak, so I tried to bag it again. Unfortunately but not surprisingly, just as I approached, the bird took flight again but this time only managed a few meters of flight. The birds limited flight and obvious exhaustion was making me begin to feel hopeful, that I'd eventually bag it, so I approached the bird for a third time. This time the bird just stayed on the ground and made aggressive gestures, with it's hooked and deadly looking beak, so I pounced on it as quickly as possible and sure enough it was third time lucky.

The bird was 18 inches tall and just fitted under the VERY FLIMSY dual layer PLASTIC bag, but it obviously wasn't happy, about being inside it and started trying to scythe it's way out with it's beak and talons. Now catching it had been a major challenge but how to keep it caught and transport it into my car, while it was fighting for it's freedom, was probably the challenge of all challenges but after asking locals for assistance and obtaining some rope, I managed to make the plastic bag a bit more robust and secure and I did manage to get it into the front passenger foot well of the hire car.

The next part was potentially very frightening and rather stupid of me when I look back, as it could have ended in a very nasty way but although I was aware of that at the time, I still took the risk in order to save the bird.

The purpose of my visit to Malta, was to see my daughter and my 2 young grandchildren and I (alone) had been left in charge of my grandchildren, who were in the car with me at the time. My granddaughter was thankfully gung ho about the episode (not the slightest bit scared) and was sat in the front passenger seat and I told her to sit with her feet on top of the bag, so that when the owl tried to get out, she could push down on the bag (a little), in an effort to stop its attempts to get free. Thankfully, the bird was so exhausted that it didn't make much effort to escape and pushing down gently on the top of the bag, had the desired effect. Had it not done so and had the bird broke free from the bag and tried to fight it's way to freedom, from inside the car, I hate to think of the potential fearsome consequences.

So at this point, I know there is a bird sanctuary not too far away but not sure exactly where it is, so I called my daughter and asked her to get directions and to contact the sanctuary to prepare them for the fact, that I'm bringing them a Snowy owl to take off my hands and look after. About 20 minutes later I find the sanctuary and one of the staff come to deal with the bird and it's at this point, that we get a taste of just how vicious and dangerous a trapped Snowy owl can be, as it attacked the staff member with it's beak, as he was trying to secure it.

It turned out that wealthy Maltese guys buy rare birds like the Snowy owl and keep them tethered as 'pets' or prestige symbols and this one had broken it's leather tether and flown away. Such a shame that I could not have held on to it and transported it to it's natural habitat, so I could have released it there, rather than it go back to captivity but under these circumstances it was the only thing I could do and the safest for both me and the bird.

For anyone who finds this insane story too hard to believe or for those who believe and would like to see the proof, the following are 2 video clips of the episode, that were taken at the time and posted on YouTube;

Hope you enjoy the story and seeing such a beautiful bird saved from almost certain death.

Are you sure the sound was certainly a kookaburra? It is sometimes difficult to accurately represent something when reflecting on sound and visuals.

Its for this reason that I'm not really a fan of identifications being done prior to the experience... unless you have a photograph or a sound recording.
I'm 70 years old and have had a life long interest in all aspects of nature, so I've paid attention to bird songs etc. to a great extent. However, I'm the first to admit that I'm barely an amateur in identifying them but this 'cry' really struck me as unusual and as I've previously heard kookaburras, that's what I took it to be but it was one of those "I can't believe my ears" moments, because I know they are an Australian species and up to this point in time, I'd never heard one in the wild in the UK or even heard of anyone else having done so. That's why I decided to do more than just shrug my shoulders and after seeing an almost identical post on here, dating back 10 or 20 years, it seemed the best place to take some action about it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back