• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 66A evaluation (2 Viewers)

Very interesting. Recently spoke with a Kowa rep about the new 66A and they feel it far exceeds the performance of the 663, rivaling the performance of the 773/774. So, they are sunsetting the 77mm. From this review it’s clear that the hu**ting community places extremely high value on low-light performance and packability. The 77mm was widely popular in that community so there is certain to be much howling about its demise. Although not at all technical, this review already included some comments about the improved overall richness, saturation and long-range resolving power of the new 66mm PROMINAR. If that proves out in subsequent reviews Kowa will have apparently set a new performance standard in the ~65mm class. We’ll just have to wait and see, but it looks promising.

As someone who has packed a load up number of mountains, I can certainly testify that every ounce counts. Finding that “sweet spot” of performance/packability is often a dilemma. Nice to see another high-performing option.

Here is another introductory review of the new 66mm

Last edited:
Tried one today (by chance, Cairngorm's mountains a jolly fellow searching for Black grouse!) - and I am saving for one.

I have nothing but shocked admiration - the view all the way to max zoom is absolutely crystal clear and razor edge sharp. Blown away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back